PDA

View Full Version : Need large shank action info

KTP
01-10-2017, 03:07 PM
I have a stumbled across a 270 Win short mag, non accutrigger, at a local gun shop. I understand the large shank vs small shank difference but need some coaching on a couple other things. Perhaps this is covered somewhere on this forum.
This action has what I assume is a magnum bolt head with the cutout bottom. At the rear of the magazine area is a finger that sticks up and appears spring loaded. What is that and what does it do? Of all the savages I've taken apart I've never seen one of these.
Any other lookouts, cautions, or opinions ? The gun appears to be in 70% condition.

drybean
01-10-2017, 03:09 PM
Ejector

KTP
01-10-2017, 03:16 PM
I thought about that but didn't want to assume. So it has the normal claw extractor and internal ejector. Cool. I'm still not sure if I should buy this rifle as a potential donor.

KTP
01-10-2017, 05:29 PM
Are these actions worth picking up for the right price ?

moecarama
01-10-2017, 05:56 PM
picked up one from a local pawn shop a few years ago with the intentions to have the Savage factory rebarrell to 26". Then a 30" large shank FTR .308 barrel showed up in the classifieds; so I built me a F/TR rifle on the cheap. It's a good action to build on if the price is right

J.Baker
01-10-2017, 10:26 PM
What you've found is one of the controlled-round-feed actions with the standing ejector. These are staggered-feed actions and should have the 4.275" action screw spacing.

KTP
01-10-2017, 11:32 PM
Thanks all for the info. First one of these I've actually touched. After reading tonight I would agree that you are spot on in that it's a controlled feed. Think I'll pass on this opportunity.

sharpshooter
01-10-2017, 11:35 PM
What you've found is one of the controlled-round-feed actions with the standing ejector. These are staggered-feed actions and should have the 4.275" action screw spacing.

How many times must I correct you people.....that's NOT a "standing" ejector....it's a "Vee spring" ejector, used with a controlled round feed bolt head. Standing ejectors were on the pre 1966 models, which were NOT controlled round feed.

foxx
01-11-2017, 12:22 AM
^^^ got it.

Next question, Fred... Is there3 an advantage or disadvantage to these?

Robinhood
02-06-2017, 10:04 PM
Change the bolt head remove the "Vee Spring Ejector" if you want and Chive on. However Controlled Round Feed has its advantages and with a mod the dragging of the "VSE" on the bottom of the bolt can be minimized making the operation a little more pleasing..