PDA

View Full Version : Krieger barrels Opinions and experience for or against? will be used on an 11/111 xp in .308

JRC 11/111
01-09-2017, 06:50 PM
There is a post farther down where the guy could have been typing my very question but without asking about a specific brand. So, it's an 11/111 trophy hunter xp with a very very good scope. Primary use is hunting with target practice, (to get better at hunting). Some long range. Weight is not a concern. Won't ever be carrying it that far. Want accuracy overall. Will stay with 1:10 twist, want longer length, 28 in. I'm thinking #17 Heavy Varmint in Stainless, 5R grooves. This barrel is $375. Is that good? Bad? Is there a better barrel for more or less $. I saw the names recommended and Krieger was not mentioned. Are they small and not known? Anyway. Wait time doesn't matter. Quality is first and foremost. Just trying to make the learning curve as least costly so when I make a purchase it will hopefully do what I need it to do.

yobuck
01-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Krieger would be one of the older barrel makers and has an excellent reputation.
They and Obermayer would no doubt have trained some of the newer well known names.

RC20
01-09-2017, 07:15 PM
First you are getting into difference of a Button Rifle vs a Cut rifled barrel.

Krieger is cut rifled. That's a target type barrel quality wise. Paying more than you need to but to me its a pretty darned good prive for that type.
I can't justify it but that me, I would think you don't either. Brux, Obermeyer etc are that type and quality (generally considered equal) Bartlein the best and used by most match shooters.

You would be fine with button rifled. The higher quality ones in the close to 300 range are XC, Shilen, Criterion, McGowan and some others.

I prefer to get right from factory or factory made as no question if there is an issue. I don't see going through an intermediary as all of them make Savage pre fits and many in stock.

Try NSS first, they have Criterion and Shilen lines. May be in stock.

EA Shaw makes decent barrels, about on par with Savage. Maybe a notch down from the other buttoned ones, but good hunters generally, decent target. They are under $200.

short round
01-09-2017, 08:42 PM
$375 is about what a Krieger blank cost, would need to be threaded & chambered. They are excellent barrels.

FW Conch
01-10-2017, 09:08 AM
ER Shaw Barrels Inc.

E Arthur Brown Company (EABCO) ;-))

RC20
01-10-2017, 12:49 PM
Yea like he says!

JRC 11/111
01-10-2017, 01:52 PM
I think I will go with Krieger. I like what I have read about them. They will fit the barrel to my action so all I have to worry about is reinstall trigger, stock, scope and sight it back in. $200 deposit gets the job started, rest when done. 1:11 twist for 180 grn bullet will be as big as I go. I plan to have this for quite awhile so no point in risking something I might not be happy with.

m12lrs
01-10-2017, 04:14 PM
I think I will go with Krieger. I like what I have read about them. They will fit the barrel to my action so all I have to worry about is reinstall trigger, stock, scope and sight it back in. $200 deposit gets the job started, rest when done. 1:11 twist for 180 grn bullet will be as big as I go. I plan to have this for quite awhile so no point in risking something I might not be happy with.

Krieger is one of the top 3 barrelmakers out there. Good choice.

Just curious. Are they going to install the barrel with the barrel nut or like a conventional rifle?

You can get bartlien and Krieger pre-fit barrels from bugholes and install it yourself.

RC20
01-10-2017, 04:34 PM
For under $200 you can get the tools to do it yourself. Oddly fun to be able to do that so a mental bonus each time I change a barrel.

As noted by m12lrs you go through BH and they get it on the way for you and arrives all ready to screw on.