PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions about my Model 10

WARoberson479
01-09-2017, 02:12 AM
My Model 10 came with a bipod, basic sling, and a FN 6-24X44 scope. I traded even, with a buddy, a 16" .223 Wylde HBAR AR15 that was a DIY kit I built myself, that cost me a total of $484 to build. Was this a good trade financially? Don't get me wrong, I love my Model 10, just curious if I "lost/made money" on this trade and if so, approximately how much?
My 10 has a basic synth stock, AccuTrigger, 24" sporter barrel, and 4-round top feed internal mag.

I look forward to any info I may receive.

Thanks.

darkker
01-09-2017, 03:37 AM
Was this a good trade financially?
Don't get me wrong, I love my Model 10,
just curious if I "lost/made money" on this trade and if so, approximately how much?

No singular answers. Financially speaking, did you want to sell it or shoot it? If you don't actually love your bolt gun and you want to sell it, around here ANY used Savage is $300-350. ANY AR that doesn't have the shroud of Christ, is $550.
That's here, never been to GA though.

waynef
01-09-2017, 08:29 AM
I know its probably me ... I cant tell from your post what you traded away and/or received

"My Model 10 came with"

"AR15 that was a DIY kit I built myself"

Which one did you get in the trade?

RC20
01-09-2017, 10:43 AM
Any time you trade a Savage Bolt for an AR you loose. You win (assuming I have your writing right)

ARs? Dime a dozen

Savage Bolt: Priceless

RC20
01-09-2017, 10:44 AM
I know its probably me ... I cant tell from your post what you traded away and/or received

Pretty sure he wound up with the 10, they just don't teach them how to write like they did us.

WARoberson479
01-09-2017, 07:38 PM
Excuse my poor sentence structure. It was late.
I traded the DIY built AR15 for the Model 10.

waynef
01-09-2017, 07:56 PM
Excuse my poor sentence structure. It was late.
I traded the DIY built AR15 for the Model 10.

You won that trade

bearcatrp
01-09-2017, 08:15 PM
Model 10 what?

RC20
01-09-2017, 08:18 PM
What we need is description of the following items.

Savage has generic parts, so just 10 tells us its a short action, we need caliber and the following.

The only way to find out OEM configuration is to call Savage though I assume yours is,

For example: My BTH 111 in their catalog would describe out as a Boyds Thumbhole (I know those are laminate) and its a pencil barrel.
The Model on the barrel just says 111 30-06.

To add a bit. 6-24 is a good range scope power, more target than hunting (3-9 is better for that)

Not sure what an FN is? Mfg?

The setup is what I would call a possible barrel change candidate.

Barrel length and how large is the end?

acu trigger (some don't but I do)

Does it have top bolt release (top right, not bottom trigger)

Is the nut segmented?

Stock is plain but serviceable fort hunting, I replace em with Boyds Thumb hole Laminates but that's me.

Barrel should be ok for hunting, not so much target. So what its worth is if you hunt and if you want a target gun.

If it had all the stuff I like then with scope and if its a good mfg, its worth $550 easy (to me)

hereinaz
01-10-2017, 04:06 PM
I have got what you desribed off gun broker for about $350, but condition has a lot to do with whether you got a good deal. I also throw away or give away scopes I get. Slings are cheap.

Is it a chinese bipod? Or Harris?

I have bought a new model 10 heavy barrel for $425 from Cabela's, out the door.

The value is going to depend on the add ons. I bought a Ruger 10-22 out of a pawn shop because it had a Vortex scope worth as much as the gun.

I bought an AR 15 for 500 bucks with a 200 Timney trigger...

Did you shoot out the barrel on that AR?

The bottom line, is shoot the rifle and enjoy it. I like shooting my bolt rifles more than my AR.

If you like the rifle, then I like the deal.

WARoberson479
01-11-2017, 06:20 PM
My Model 10 has
Basic synth stock,
AccuTrigger,
24" sporter barrel,
Top bolt release,
4-round top feed magazine.

FN is the mfg of the scope.
The bipod is a Harris.

Zero333
01-11-2017, 09:55 PM
FN is the mfg of the scope.

Are you sure the scope says "FN" ?

It would be sweet if the scope actually said "NF" !!!
that would be a steal !

Robinhood
01-11-2017, 11:26 PM
when you buy ammo does it say 308, 6.5 creedmoor, 7mm08, 243.......?

Look up FN scopes on google.

hereinaz
01-12-2017, 10:58 AM
The cost of a used model 10, a harris bipod, a walmart sling, and a cheap scope sounds like a pretty even trade for a built AR, unless the condition of the barrels of the guns and other parts was not equal. Neither of you got a smoking deal.

Hope that helps, and glad to help. But, seriously is there something else? Because all of those are pretty easily verified through Google, gun broker, ebay, etc. For future reference, that is what most of us did to get value until we bought so much crap we have a feel for it. You don't really need us for that...

And, just curious what caliber you got?

hereinaz
01-12-2017, 11:01 AM
In my personal opinion, you got the better deal because you can now do some much more with your bolt action Savage. I moved two AR 15 out of my safe for room for more Savages.

I would trade my billet AR 10 for a savage of equal value today... but not my one AR 15 left.

Welcome to Savage ownership!