PDA

View Full Version : 30 mm rings

OldDog
01-08-2017, 01:26 PM
I just picked up another Axis,and I've got a 30 mm tube 50 mm objective scope on it,I'm using the rings that I got with the scope,but they are too high for my taste..Do any of you know what is the lowest rings I can get,and not run into clearance issues..I can order them a lot cheaper than I can buy them local,so I want to get the right ones the first time..thanks

Robinhood
01-08-2017, 01:27 PM
what is your budget?

OldDog
01-08-2017, 01:43 PM
I don't want to spend anymore thanI have to .I'm mostly asking what height ring,rather than brand,or quality.

Robinhood
01-08-2017, 02:25 PM
There is info missing. Since the length from the eyepiece to the objective can vary with short causing issues. Different scope manufacturers have different outside diameters on both the objective and eyepiece. Your base height and length can play a roll. Also there are no manufacturing standards for Low, Medium, High or Extra High rings. So old dog, you need to learn some new tricks.

You could inform the group of the exact scope with model or barrel dimensions of the rifle and someone can post the info from experience. Probably what you want. or...

Most decent quality ring manufacturers will give you a dimension from the rail or top of receiver to the bottom or the centerline of the scope depending on the type of ring. You could try to mock or shim the scope up off the base or the receiver and then measure the gap and go from there. I look at the scope and the barreled action as to circles the OD of one cannot touch the other. Simple math using those radii and maybe a dial caliper and a ruler will get you the perfect answer.

OldDog
01-08-2017, 03:54 PM
There is info missing. Since the length from the eyepiece to the objective can vary with short causing issues. Different scope manufacturers have different outside diameters on both the objective and eyepiece. Your base height and length can play a roll. Also there are no manufacturing standards for Low, Medium, High or Extra High rings. So old dog, you need to learn some new tricks.

You could inform the group of the exact scope with model or barrel dimensions of the rifle and someone can post the info from experience. Probably what you want. or...

Most decent quality ring manufacturers will give you a dimension from the rail or top of receiver to the bottom or the centerline of the scope depending on the type of ring. You could try to mock or shim the scope up off the base or the receiver and then measure the gap and go from there. I look at the scope and the barreled action as to circles the OD of one cannot touch the other. Simple math using those radii and maybe a dial caliper and a ruler will get you the perfect answer.
The scope is an Osprey 10-40×50,that I got on trade..The Axis had a 3-9×32 when I got it .I took it off and will probably put it on a 22.There is about an inch between the base and scope tube,and about an inch under the objective,and the bolt handles clears the eyepiece by about half an inch

DrThunder88
01-08-2017, 05:40 PM
I have an Athlon Argos (http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?52465-Athlon-Optics-Argos-BTR-6-24x50mm) in a set of Vortex medium rings. And those are the cheap Vortex Ross that you can buy individually for $20 a piece. I expect that my other favorite rings, UTG Max Strength low rings, would also work, as the saddle height is nearly identical.

This is all assuming you're using an EGW rail.

OldDog
01-09-2017, 06:36 AM
Thank you,That is very similar in dimension to my scope,so I feel confident in ordering medium rings