PDA

View Full Version : Striker progress

BobT
08-14-2010, 10:07 AM
I snagged a Super Striker a while back, pretty nice gun in .22-250 with a 3-9 Burris on top -

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m100/rltjlt/001-4.jpg

I lopped off a .243 factory rifle barrel to 18" and re-crowned it and added a 6.5-20 Leupold -

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m100/rltjlt/004-1.jpg

It's a pretty good shooter ;D

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m100/rltjlt/003-1.jpg

This was the first 3 shots after bore sighting (bottom group) I fired several more 3 round groups for load development with one 12 shot composite group that goes .880 ctc and was fired with 3 different powder charges. I think it's going to be a keeper!

Bob

358Hammer
08-14-2010, 10:10 AM
And then the fun begins.

Looks like a shooter from the git go Bob!

Neal

BobT
08-18-2010, 11:41 AM
And then the fun begins.

Looks like a shooter from the git go Bob!

Neal

Now all I need to do is get one of those nifty Nealam (sp) stocks and stick a good trigger on it . I'm hoping to shoot a nice pronghorn with it next month. I have a little more load work to do. I'm trying to get 3000 fps. out of the Nosler 95 grain BT.

Bob

Ksmirk
08-20-2010, 07:16 PM
I just got a striker in 243 and I must say I think I'm hooked! I think a new barrel in 7WSM or 284 Win, stock, scope, and oh hell of a good muzzle break. Good to see someone with a striker that is shooting good, best of luck to you and your project keep us posted how things come along. Later,

Kirk

358Hammer
08-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Cool Kirk

Welcome to the dark side. Never could understand why people carry heavy awkward hunting tools around all day when those nice light short tools will do for most applications.

Upgrade to something like a 7WSM and the trees stand taller. The streams run brighter. Going to a longer barrel really brings a &WSM or something equivalent into a long range hammer.
Enjoy

Neal

BobT
08-23-2010, 01:15 AM
I just got a striker in 243 and I must say I think I'm hooked! I think a new barrel in 7WSM or 284 Win, stock, scope, and oh **** of a good muzzle break. Good to see someone with a striker that is shooting good, best of luck to you and your project keep us posted how things come along. Later,

Kirk

Thanks Kirk!

Neal is the one who got me started on this Striker business in the first place. I already have my eye on another one. It's funny that you mention the 7 WSM because that is the cartridge that I have decided on for my long shooter ;D I didn't get a chance to shoot this weekend but I plan to have the chronograph out first thing Saturday morning for some load tweaking. I don't think I made my goal of 3000 FPS yet but I should be close.

I will probably call it good at this point, I have less than 4 weeks left and still have to get my range cards made up.

Good luck with yours!

Bob

Ksmirk
08-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Well I just spoke with my gunsmith buddy and he seemed a little excited to start this project! he is headed out to DC next week and will call to get the barrel headed this way I eneded up going with a finished 18" 1-9 twist 1.062 for the first 3" then a straight taper to .700 at the muzzle end, Jim siad I needed .680 to turn the threads for his break and I need to save some pennies so I can get one of his light laminated rear grip stocks headed this way. I don't get to head back home until the 10th of September so most stuff is going to be put on hold until then.

The 7 WSM I think is going to be a wonderful round in this pistol, I have my 284 Win rifle I built last year and with the 162 A-Max I'm pushing 3011fps! it'll go more but the accuracy goes to pot! I just load for accuracy and the velocity be what it is, the COL of this round is 3.100" I had a guy over on 6mmbr run the numbers in Quickload and he said the 284 Win should get me 2700fps from the 18" barrel so I figure the 7 WSM should get me to at least 2850-2900fps and that high bc bullet should really sail! I'll get some pics up when I get home to show the progress of the build.

shaman
08-27-2010, 04:38 AM
Why did I click on this thread? I have been looking at strikers for a long time, and was also thinking about a longer barreled 7WSM. I almost bought a nealan stocked striker action with Rifle basix trigger last year.

BobT
08-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Why did I click on this thread? I have been looking at strikers for a long time, and was also thinking about a longer barreled 7WSM. I almost bought a nealan stocked striker action with Rifle basix trigger last year.

I ask myself the same question the first time I watched one of Neal's videos. The first few times I looked at the Striker it didn't do much for me, in fact I passed up a couple of really great deals on them (kick self hard) . Now that I have been bitten by the bug I wonder why I resisted them at first. Luckily most of my play money is tied up in a house project at the moment or I would have already gone completely nuts! I even offered up my beloved Husqvarna 9.3x62 as trade bait on another one the other day, thankfully the guy didn't bite!

I spent the last year screwing together a nifty little .270/08 improved for a pronghorn hunt that happens in three weeks, guess what I'm taking now!

Take the plunge, you will be glad!

Bob

shaman
08-28-2010, 07:23 AM
BobT, I want a AR upper in 17hm2 and a MSAR E4, and a evanix rainstorm, and a career 707, and a shoebox compressor, then the striker.

Ksmirk
08-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Fella's I love the 284 Win! granted I stretch them out a tad past the 2.800" so I can fit a little more powder in the case but with the short action I just thought the 7WSM would be my best choice of velocity and big enough bullet for long range work. My 243 rifle and 107SMK's have hit at 1300 to date but that bullet I just don't know how it would do on game past 500 yards! took a doe a couple years ago with a neck shot at 473 but that rifle is just evil accurate. I built a 284 Win on a long action 2 years ago and I must say that the 162 A-Max hits MUCH harder at ranges out to 600 or as far as I've had a chance to shoot so far and well the several deer that have been taken with that rifle let's just say none ran off ;D hard on meat around where the bullet entered but they very human kills. With going to a shorter barrel I had a guy over on 6mmbr run the numbers and the 7WSM should give me a couple hundred FPS over the 284 Win came up with numbers about 2700fps and the 7WSM had numbers of 2800-2875 not a bunch but enough when your dealing with a 162 A-Max and the high BC of the bullet it should really float out there nice. Just have to get my reimbursments from work and I can see a .532 bolthead and a muscle break headed to my house and might even see a barrel in a few weeks! Dang Strikers and you evil people that push them :P Later,

Kirk

BobT
09-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Fella's With going to a shorter barrel I had a guy over on 6mmbr run the numbers and the 7WSM should give me a couple hundred FPS over the 284 Win came up with numbers about 2700fps and the 7WSM had numbers of 2800-2875 not a bunch but enough when your dealing with a 162 A-Max and the high BC of the bullet it should really float out there nice.
Kirk

Or you could go to a 7mm Dakota and send a 200 grain Wildcat down range at the same 2800 fps ;D

Dang Strikers and you evil people that push them :P Later,
Kirk

No thanks necessary !

Bob

Ksmirk
09-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Everyone is pickin' on me ;) I have a plan and peer pressure is not going to change it but might get me to thinking :P you people are evil! your here and on SP EVIL EVIL PEOPLE I can't get away.

7 Dakota, anything like a 7RUM,STW? that's a new one on me. I figure the 7WSM will ge my foot in the door and be a good round to get what I'm after THEN I can step up to some boomers, I really don't have much use for the big bores with what I hunt or shoot but everyone need a rifle or pistol with COOL FACTOR 8) Later,

Kirk

Blue Avenger
09-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Everyone is pickin' on me ;) I have a plan and peer pressure is not going to change it but might get me to thinking :P you people are evil! your here and on SP EVIL EVIL PEOPLE I can't get away.

Kirk
LOL Running with the big dogs!

Ksmirk
09-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Runnin' hell I've not even gotten off the porch LMAO! Later,

Kirk