PDA

View Full Version : differences between model 10 and 12

LEJ76
01-07-2017, 11:10 AM
I know this has probably been asked many times before but can someone tell me if there is any difference between the actions of the models 10 and 12?

I was looking a the 12 LRP in 6.5 CM or the 10 BA Stealth in 6.5 CM as possible candidates for my next rifle. The LRP sports a target accutrigger (i know lighter), while the 10BA is advertised with a factory blueprinted action. Seems a bit odd to me that savage is investing more attention in the action of a tactical/sporter than their decicated line of target rifles. Im not being critical , just wondering why if this is something they are doing now wouldnt it make sense that their model 12 target/precision rifles be first in line.

olddav
01-07-2017, 11:23 AM
Just a couple of things I viewed on their web page, the 12 is ported while the 10 is open on top. The 10 BA is mounted in a chassis, the 12 in a fiberglass stock. Then there is the triggers. Both have the same footprint (screw spacing).

Robinhood
01-07-2017, 11:39 AM
To take that a little further, there is hardly any design changes. At one time the product line was more definable. Most of the model 12's currently lean towards longer range accuracy. Often including a better or higher quality of stock. That would include some laminates. specialty stocks for varmint and competion. Actions include some forms of the PTA but not all. The forum provides some of the history through Savage corporate catalogs. Here is the link to view them. The format is not perfect but at least there is valuable research data there.

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?275-catalogs

LEJ76
01-07-2017, 11:44 AM
I had noticed the exjection port area but cant find any reference to it. Im asssuming as a general rule the more steel in the action the stronger it is and better for accuracy??
Just reading somewhere else it says that the 10BA uses 5R rifling, im not sure if anyone knows how true this is?? I know they did it for a run on their model 10T but i dont think they are doing it across the other model 10's like the 10FCP-SR
Anyone?

Just a couple of things I viewed on their web page, the 12 is ported while the 10 is open on top. The 10 BA is mounted in a chassis, the 12 in a fiberglass stock. Then there is the triggers. Both have the same footprint (screw spacing).

LEJ76
01-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Thanks Robinhood appreciated

To take that a little further, there is hardly any design changes. At one time the product line was more definable. Most of the model 12's currently lean towards longer range accuracy. Often including a better or higher quality of stock. That would include some laminates. specialty stocks for varmint and competion. Actions include some forms of the PTA but not all. The forum provides some of the history through Savage corporate catalogs. Here is the link to view them. The format is not perfect but at least there is valuable research data there.

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?275-catalogs

RC20
01-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Rather than stronger, I would say more rigid.

That's being nuanced, the action itself is very strong which I would use to call capable cartridge wise.

Rigid is stopping as much flex as possible, ergo the narrow port of ports.

I may be wrong, but my approach has been with mine is to put a rail on it and have no bottom cutout on the stock.
Rail is dual purpose in more scope positions and can snap on and off easier.

Same idea executed a bit differently, can't prove it of course.

J.Baker
01-08-2017, 12:20 AM
I had noticed the exjection port area but cant find any reference to it. Im asssuming as a general rule the more steel in the action the stronger it is and better for accuracy??

Many assume that, but it's never been proven. The action only needs to be stiff enough to handle the task at hand. Any additional stiffness beyond that threshold offers no additional benefit. Unless you're hanging a 30"+ long full bull barrel off the action the additional rigidity of the solid top Target action isnt going to offer any benefit. Also, if you use a 1-piece scope mount it acts as a brace and makes the open top action just as rigid as the Target actions.

Just reading somewhere else it says that the 10BA uses 5R rifling, im not sure if anyone knows how true this is?? I know they did it for a run on their model 10T but i don't think they are doing it across the other model 10's like the 10FCP-SR
Anyone?

Based on what I'm seeing on the Savage website I would say the 10BA uses standard rifling. Savage doesn't specify it for this model, but does for other models. I can't recall seeing any of the reviews I've read stating it had 5R rifling either. Given the typical roughness of Savage barrels, a factory 5R barrel probably wouldn't be any easier to clean than a standard 6-land rifled barrel which is the primary benefit of a 5R barrel.

LEJ76
01-08-2017, 01:19 AM
thanks guys