PDA

View Full Version : Fix for save bolt handles hitting scopes?

Dennis72
01-06-2017, 03:08 AM
are all you guys grinding your bolt handles down to clear the scope ocular bells? i hate to do that, but i go through scopes like a woman goes through shoes, i want to try them all. is there any thinner aftermarket bolt handles available? Thanks, Dennis

Robinhood
01-06-2017, 07:23 AM
talk to frank from florida.

celltech
01-06-2017, 10:50 AM
I was threading a couple of my handles down the other day for bigger bolt knobs and decided to grind some scope reliefs as well. It really is easy with a Dremel and some stone wheels. Axis bolts can get a lot of upward movement when fully open and hit the scope pretty easily. I think you will find bolt handles are not that cheap, and how do you know they will clear your scope anyway?

I have wondered, are OEM Axis bolt handles cheap to buy? The Savage store has been down forever and I can't seem to find any on the webs...

Axis223Shooter
01-10-2017, 12:25 AM
Try taller rings ?

Dennis72
01-10-2017, 02:07 AM
it would be a drag to have to use higher rings, i have medium one piece basses/rings and they leave a lot of room between the barrel and the scope already. right now i have a nikon buckmasters 3-9x40 and the bolt handle does not hit the scope, but it rubs the flip open cover. i first tried a tasco world class 4-16x40 and that was a no-go at all. it sucks being so limited on scopes with these axis guns, i really want to use an illuminated reticle scope for hunting as most of the deer i see are right at dusk and dawn time.

Robinhood
01-10-2017, 02:29 AM
You could by a scope with a smaller eyepiece/ocular bell.

Dennis72
01-10-2017, 02:40 AM
yeah, that is why i bought the nikon buckmasters...i looked at the butler creek scope cover size chart and the nikon buckmaster had one of the smallest ocular sizes, and its still real close to being too large.

30-06shooter
01-12-2017, 10:24 AM
I have the same issue with my buckmaster 4-12X40. it's real close to the bell and rubs the cover.

DrThunder88
01-12-2017, 07:57 PM
I was threading a couple of my handles down the other day for bigger bolt knobs and decided to grind some scope reliefs as well. It really is easy with a Dremel and some stone wheels. Axis bolts can get a lot of upward movement when fully open and hit the scope pretty easily. I think you will find bolt handles are not that cheap, and how do you know they will clear your scope anyway?

I have wondered, are OEM Axis bolt handles cheap to buy? The Savage store has been down forever and I can't seem to find any on the webs...

Axis bolt handles aren't terribly expensive, if I recall. I think they were about $15.