PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 284 help

brianlt21
01-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Well got a factory take off 6.5 284 barrel borrowed a ptg headspace gage for it but on the gage it says 284 win on the gage but according to ptg it is the right gage. So next i had some left over 284 brass that i figured i would neck down with my new hornady dies tht say 6.5-284 sobi figured this will be a piece of cake well turna out my bolt wont close on the rifle. Also check the cartride oal before trim and was already undersize. So after i made numerous attepts to bump the shoulder back a cant get my press to cam over anymore to size brass.. so where do i start hornady or ptg for the gage?? Anyone else have this problem

Twostepct
01-07-2017, 10:19 AM
I'll start by saying I've never loaded this cartridge, nor have I ever necked anything down. But, even if I'm wrong, it's more help than you had!

The shell holder you are using, is it the same manufacturer as your die set? Could it's thickness be preventing the shoulder bumping back far enough?

Hotolds442
01-09-2017, 01:32 AM
Left over brass? As in once fired?
Could be that the cartridge base to datum line in the shoulder is excessive. Especially if that brass was used in Model 99 Savages or Model 88 and 100 Winchesters, or any other rifle with excessive headspace.
I've resized over 500 rounds of 284 brass without a single case being unfit for use. These include Lapua, Winchester white box, and Winchester yellow box. All were resized using an RCBS shell holder and Hornady dies.
You might pull the barrel back off and measure the setback by inserting the go gauge into the barrel and determining how much protrudes from the barrel face. It should measure between.125~.130

MTHunt
01-09-2017, 01:56 AM
I am going to assume it is not setting the shoulder back enough need the Redding comp shell holder set, makes adjusting set back super easy if brass is uneven. Not the first time it could be Hornady dies are not machined right.

toddcdozer
01-10-2017, 11:11 PM
Well got a factory take off 6.5 284 barrel borrowed a ptg headspace gage for it but on the gage it says 284 win on the gage but according to ptg it is the right gage. So next i had some left over 284 brass that i figured i would neck down with my new hornady dies tht say 6.5-284 sobi figured this will be a piece of cake well turna out my bolt wont close on the rifle. Also check the cartride oal before trim and was already undersize. So after i made numerous attepts to bump the shoulder back a cant get my press to cam over anymore to size brass.. so where do i start hornady or ptg for the gage?? Anyone else have this problemStart with a set of calipers and start measuring and comparing to case drawings. Neck too big? Shoulder too far forward? Could be anything. You could measure shoulder with about anything since you have a go gauge. Take something that will slip onto the shoulder and measure the GO and then try it on the case.

darkker
01-11-2017, 05:57 AM
1) Well got a factory take off 6.5 284 barrel borrowed a ptg headspace gage for it but on the gage it says 284 win on the gage but according to ptg it is the right gage.
2) So next i had some left over 284 brass that i figured i would neck down with my new hornady dies tht say 6.5-284 sobi figured this will be a piece of cake well turna out my bolt wont close on the rifle.
3) Also check the cartride oal before trim and was already undersize.
4) So after i made numerous attepts to bump the shoulder back a cant get my press to cam over anymore to size brass..
5) so where do i start hornady or ptg for the gage?? Anyone else have this problem

1) according to the manual I just looked at, the 284 & 6.5*284 Norma, don't have the same headspace. So no. PTG used a different animal, perhaps the Win chamber?
2) what kind of dies? If you are neck sizing only, that's your problem.
3) No, that would be under length not undersized. In any case that has nothing to do with headspace, that's based on the shoulder.
4) dies set up wrong or as mentioned, shell holder issue.
5) Need to get some specifics straight first. According to the Nosler manual, the gauge you used to headspace, is to short. Verify this at SAAMI's page of drawings, or any load manual.

bowfishn
01-13-2017, 06:46 PM
What did you use for a go gage? You only said you borrowed a ptg headspace gage go or no-go?

bowfishn
01-13-2017, 07:13 PM
This is not the first time this has been asked.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?202-Go-Gauge-interchangeability-6-5x284-help-please
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?8566-6-5x284-confusion

Slowpoke Slim
01-16-2017, 09:10 PM
I would mark up a case with a magic marker and chamber it, to see exactly where the brass is getting it's interference from, and go from there. I've only used new Lapua brass in my 6.5x284, so can't speak to sizing down the parent 284 case.

brianlt21
02-14-2017, 06:31 AM
Well provlem is fixed head space is correct barrel is fine here with no case in the action it was fine but when trying to load a case the bolt head was hitting one of my scope base screw just a few thousands so took that out and shortened it up and now perfect loaded up some rounds and range time this weekend!!!!