PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 FP Barrel Replacement

Pages : [1] 2

CarlosDJackal
01-05-2017, 02:49 PM
I've decided that, since my thoracic surgery, I'm too much of a wuss to keep shooting the .308 Winchester round. I've fallen in lust with the 6.5 Creedmoor as a round and would like to purchase a pre-fit barrel for my Savage 110FP tactical that I purchased more than 2 decades ago.

I was considering a replacement barrel that is 22" - 26" in length. It has to be threaded (5/8-24) so I can use my Suppressor on it. I was considering a Carbone Fiber barrel from Proof Research but they're a little pricey and do not offer threaded barrels (yet - they said they should be the first quarter of 2017). While I'd liket o keep the weight down, I would rather have a heavy barrel that is uber-accurate. My preferred load shoots the Sierra 175-grain HPBT but I am open to using the Hornary 178-grain ELD Match or something similar.

So what other barrels has anyone purchased that could meet this criteria? I value others' experiences in considering certain makers and products and would appreciate any input.

big honkin jeep
01-05-2017, 03:01 PM
If the problem is that you need less recoil. One very good answer is H4895. It can be safely reduced to 60% of published maximum charges. I have several very good youth hunting loads using Hodgdon data with 125gr Hornady SSTs and 130gr Barnes TTSX. Being hunting loads they are not at the absolute minimum and are still moving right along, but have less recoil than a standard .243 loading. I have also had good accuracy with them. H4895 has given a whole new dimension of light recoiling performance to the .308 for me.
Good luck and I hope you get it figured out.

CarlosDJackal
01-05-2017, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the reply. Because of the nerve damage I am very sensitive to recoil. A muzzle break might help, but I might as well use that cost towards a new barrel. I really like the 6.5 Creedmoor because of its inherent accuracy as I have experienced from my Ruger Precision Rifle. So eliminating my need for match .308 ammo would be a plus and would kill two birds with one rock.

Sleeper99
01-05-2017, 04:22 PM
I finally got around to shooting my model 11 after I swapped out the factory .308 barrel for the 26" Shilen select match that I purchased from Jim at NSS. This was my experience. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170105/43b398dddbf49f01c2a0f1585396eded.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170105/2eddd91333fd88b7db0516e23c73fbaa.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170105/a4d38ce0fcb569cec3c88623f4e26aac.jpg
I only shot 12 rounds as it was cold and windy yesterday. First three rounds were to zero, then 3 consecutive 3 shot groups. You see they results. The pictures are in the order that I shot the groups. I was extremely pleased.

CarlosDJackal
01-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Not bad at all. Thanks for sharing.

SageRat Shooter
01-05-2017, 05:23 PM
Carlos,

The 6.5 Creedmoor now has a 143 gr. ELD-X with a BC of .625 (supposedly).... that would reduce your recoil quite a bit from that 175 you're shooting.... As far as aftermarket barrels I can only vouch for the Criterion barrels that you can get from NSS. I just ordered one in 260 Rem Match but have ordered one before in 22-250. She puts 5 shots in a nickel at 100 yards....

toddcdozer
01-05-2017, 11:23 PM
Carlos,

The 6.5 Creedmoor now has a 143 gr. ELD-X with a BC of .625 (supposedly).... that would reduce your recoil quite a bit from that 175 you're shooting.... As far as aftermarket barrels I can only vouch for the Criterion barrels that you can get from NSS. I just ordered one in 260 Rem Match but have ordered one before in 22-250. She puts 5 shots in a nickel at 100 yards....BC is real close per MY drops. BC is a barrel dependent and load dependent issue but mine are close enough to published to call them spot on.

RC20
01-06-2017, 12:17 PM
That looks really good, I would like to see 5 shot groups. 5 shots tells us a lot more.

Sleeper99
01-06-2017, 12:26 PM
I'm hoping that the groups got better because the barrel got fouled a little, as it was brand new. I'll do some more but I was seeing myself shivering through the scope. So I called it a day.

darkker
01-06-2017, 01:12 PM
I've decided that, since my thoracic surgery, I'm too much of a wuss to keep shooting the .308 Winchester round. I've fallen in lust with the 6.5 Creedmoor as a round and would like to purchase a pre-fit barrel for my Savage 110FP tactical that I purchased more than 2 decades ago.

I was considering a replacement barrel that is 22" - 26" in length. It has to be threaded (5/8-24) so I can use my Suppressor on it. I was considering a Carbone Fiber barrel from Proof Research but they're a little pricey and do not offer threaded barrels (yet - they said they should be the first quarter of 2017). While I'd liket o keep the weight down, I would rather have a heavy barrel that is uber-accurate. My preferred load shoots the Sierra 175-grain HPBT but I am open to using the Hornary 178-grain ELD Match or something similar. I'm a bit confused, you say you want to know about, and go to a Creedmoor, but them talk about desired bullet weights for the 308. So what are we doing again? GunShack carrys a few brands, or BlackHole will do what you need with much less wait(if not in stock) than most everyone else currently.

CarlosDJackal
01-06-2017, 02:20 PM
I apologize. But I am actually asking for recommendations on aftermarket barrel makers that offer threaded Savage pre-fit barrels in 6.5 Creedmoor based on experiences

toddcdozer
01-06-2017, 03:53 PM
I apologize. But I am actually asking for recommendations on aftermarket barrel makers that offer threaded Savage pre-fit barrels in 6.5 Creedmoor based on experiencesMy experience over hundreds of barrels has been that every company out there builds great barrels and every company can let a bad one slip thru as well. That being said, I have never gotten a bad one PERSONALLY. Some I wondered about for a while but usually figured out with a little effort. I usually just use whoever can get me one quicker or more commonly bye one somebody changed their minds on like my last build.

Sleeper99
01-06-2017, 08:22 PM
I called NSS on Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Talked to Jim about what I wanted to do. He had what I needed and I got a shipping notification the same day. Couldn't have been better in my experience.

diego
01-07-2017, 12:20 PM
sorry don't know about suppressors other than noise reduction what about a a good muzzle brake. they help with 338 win mag and 300 weaterby

RC20
01-07-2017, 12:50 PM
I'm hoping that the groups got better because the barrel got fouled a little, as it was brand new. I'll do some more but I was seeing myself shivering through the scope. So I called it a day.

Yea, it was 10 degrees when I started shooting yesterday. Light wind. I had my 1975 Pipeline Arctic rated -60 down pants on with a good coat and was warm enough. Kind of like the Michelin tire man. Light goes about 3:30 here, scopes fade (one is ok). Got in some good groups (and some poor ones) and hung it up.

Shed ahs overhead Infrared heaters and that helps a lot. Mostly protected from the wind.

RC20
01-07-2017, 12:53 PM
My preferred load shoots the Sierra 175-grain HPBT but I am open to using the Hornary 178-grain ELD Match or something similar.

A bit confusing, I think you know the 6.5 does not have 175 gr bullets? Just the type you are asking about?

I don't have the latest Hornady but they keep coming up with lots of new bullets for that.

My brother says his shoots like a 22.

If you want to keep recoil down then the Bull barrel helps because of weight.

Varmint Contour is good as well.

RC20
01-07-2017, 12:56 PM
I called NSS on Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Talked to Jim about what I wanted to do. He had what I needed and I got a shipping notification the same day. Couldn't have been better in my experience.

Jim is great to deal with. What mfg and barrel profile did you go with?

RC20
01-07-2017, 12:58 PM
[
I don't have the latest Hornady but they keep coming up with lots of new bullets for that.

My brother says his shoots like a 22.

If you want to keep recoil down then the Bull barrel helps because of weight.

Varmint Contour is good as well.

Sleeper99
01-07-2017, 01:19 PM
Jim is great to deal with. What mfg and barrel profile did you go with?

I went with a Shilen select match 26" savage varmint contour in 6.5CM. Originally I was going to have it cut down to about 22" and threaded, but I'm kinda glad I didn't. I do almost all of my shooting at a rifle range so I'm not planning on dragging the 11 degree target crown through the woods.

I have also started getting away from muzzle devices in my lighter recoiling rifles. They are much more pleasant to shoot without all the noise/concussion. I should be able to get back out in the next few weeks and I'll post some five shot groups for you. Although, when the first 3-4 are real tight together that 5th one has a lot more pressure on it.

RC20
01-08-2017, 02:01 PM
I have also started getting away from muzzle devices in my lighter recoiling rifles. They are much more pleasant to shoot without all the noise/concussion. I should be able to get back out in the next few weeks and I'll post some five shot groups for you. Although, when the first 3-4 are real tight together that 5th one has a lot more pressure on it.

Now that is the truth, I got back and forth, I plugged 5 into 3/8 a month ago in fading light and windy (and cold, whine, sniff, moan) though we do have heaters overhead in the shed and that helps hugely, you can shoot at 10 degrees ok)

What I have found is if I get annoyed I get more focused and it can help. Previous group sucked (I did make a COAL change and that hit a sweet spot) but I was ticked off at the situation.

Shilen is a good barrel, best of my lot for clean up. Its shooting 1/2 MOA if I am on task and using known good loads. That's in 30-06 which is good (granted its also a bull barrel and it does not care if its cold or hot it shoots to the same POI with no warm up shots)

I don't like brakes from a range standpoint. In the shed they are really bad. Having been next to one outside (and that's going to be a few more months) . What its saves the shooter it inflicts on the adjacent shooters. I have lost some good groups to that.

I think they should be put out of the end and on the far end of the open benches!

I don't have a problem hinting with a target crown, tree branches are not going to hurt it, I haven't ever dropped a rifle on the barrel end.