PDA

View Full Version : Switching stocks

Yosemite Sam
01-04-2017, 01:22 AM
I managed to damage the stock on my Axis 22-250 and may need to replace the stock. I saw a lefty 30-06 Axis stock for sale in an ad.

If I read correctly, the stocks are actually the same as far as action length and could be swapped, so long as I use my 22-250's trigger guard and magazine. Do I get that right?

I'm sure people have asked this before. so my apology for repeating. I've been researching this but am not certain if I interpret my reading correctly.

Lonewulf
01-04-2017, 09:53 AM
Get a Boyds stock and it will be a better shooter, is it a HB or standard Axis stock?

auskip07
01-04-2017, 09:59 AM
im assuming yours is also a lefty? if not you will need to notch out the area for the bolt handle. How much are you saving by going used stock vs the $150 for the boyds?

Yosemite Sam
01-04-2017, 01:27 PM
im assuming yours is also a lefty?.... How much are you saving by going used stock vs the $150 for the boyds?

yes, I'm a lefty. Savings will be significant.

Get a Boyds stock and it will be a better shooter, is it a HB or standard Axis stock?

standard. At this point, I'm not wanting to commit to a Boyd's stock, though that might be a later option.

auskip07
01-04-2017, 04:14 PM
yes, I'm a lefty. Savings will be significant.

standard. At this point, I'm not wanting to commit to a Boyd's stock, though that might be a later option.

If it was me and i was going to get a boyds eventually i would just commit to boyds and let it be done... If money is an issue i would go plan B and get the other stock

Yosemite Sam
01-04-2017, 08:33 PM
If money is an issue i would go plan B and get the other stock

That brings me back to the original question. Will the stocks interchange if I use my 22-25- trigger and magazine with the 30-06 stock I see for sale?

ninner
01-04-2017, 10:44 PM
Yes

That brings me back to the original question. Will the stocks interchange if I use my 22-25- trigger and magazine with the 30-06 stock I see for sale?

auskip07
01-05-2017, 10:57 AM

Think about it. Does Boyds ask for the caliber when you buy a stock?

Yosemite Sam
01-05-2017, 12:21 PM
yes

Thanks!

Think about it. Does Boyds ask for the caliber when you buy a stock?

I got to looking more closely at their website. They do distinguish action lengths. The distance between the action screws indeed appears the same, but with different magazines.

I should be good to go from here unless someone wants to add something. Thanks!

Wayne Nixon
01-05-2017, 03:42 PM
I think this is your answer, from FAQs.

Q: What is the action screw spacing on the Savage Axis?
A: All Axis models have the same overall action length and have a screw spacing of 4.800". Those chambered for S/A cartridges use a S/A length magazine and trigger guard piece while those chambered for L/A cartridges use a L/A length magazine and trigger guard piece.

Yosemite Sam
01-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Yep, thank you.

30-06shooter
01-12-2017, 10:21 AM
I would spend the extra $$ and get the boyds. It will help with resale if you decide you don't like the rifle.

ninner
01-12-2017, 11:13 AM
I doubt the added resale value will exceed the cost of the Boyd's stock but they definitely look and feel better. I have two and like them a lot. On my Axis 22-250 build I stuck with the axis stock, opened up the barrel channel with sand paper and plan to rockite it. So far I'm very happy with the results but I'm trying to keep this build as cheap as possible just so I can claim to have a $250 fluted bull barrel tack driver, I suppose I'll eventually get over it and order a Boyd's stock though. Bad thing is it's a lefty and they don't make a bull barrel stock for it so I'll either have to open up the barrel channel or cut a second bolt handle relief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SageRat Shooter
01-12-2017, 11:36 AM
Gents,

I too am a lefty and in the Axis we are S.O.L. when it comes to Stock options for us. The only option I had was the Prairie Hunter, or Classic. Neither one of them can accommodate a contour larger than a Light Varmint or Heavy sporter... Unless you want to lose the sides of the barrel channel.