PDA

View Full Version : Spent some quality time with my Savages at the range today.

skoger
08-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Thursday and friday is my days off, took some of my builds to the range.
1. 223, 9twist factory 112 single shot, SSS trigger, Bedded Duramax, Burris 8x32 Target Sig. scope.Shot 1/2 inch with 3 different factory loads, bughole with a 60 Match FB handload.
2. Savage 110, .270 factory barrel, with fixed brake, factory. I have trued action, went thru the trigger and bedded in the older Choat stock, tiger strip camo paint by me, SSS recoil lug.Shot 3/4" with 2 different factory loads, wife took an elk last year with this,one shot, this is my backup gun with Hornady 150gr. Interlocks for elk this year in colorado.
3. Savage 116 short action, Benchmark Bull SS 6.5x284, 8 twist, 30". I timed and trued the action, SSS lug and Trigger, Bedded in a B&C Tactical, steel trigger guard. Leupold bases, Burris X hi, 30mm rings, w/inserts and a Barska SWAT, 10x40x52 MM, mildot, Side focus. This is a hammer!! Shoots into 1/2 inch at 100 and even tighter at 200. Have no pressure signs, but am pushing the 142gr. Sieera match bullett right at 3090fps through the Chrono, long barrel helps with slow burning powder. I have it zeroed dead on at 300yds, and am planning on some long range deer with it this year. I took a coyote about 4 weeks ago at 487 yards, with the match bullet it nearly cut him into! I know this is not a high dollar scope, but I have had Zero issues except maybe eye releif. Tracks and holds Zero, will do for now.
4. Savage 110, SF, Douglas XX SS, full bull, 24" 6.5x55 swede. I trued the action, rifle basix trigger, SSS lug, Duramax stock, bedded, steel triggerguard, Burrris Fullfield 6x18x40 scope. Most of you know I am a swede nut and this one is a keeper!
Winchester 140 factory ammo was solid 1/2 inch for 3 -3 shot groups. My old favorite handload of 120 Sieera Sp and 85 gr .Sieera varmint bullets would shoot tiny wads, both these bullets did .285, 248, .300, the 120's and the .85's did .270, .310, .290, this was back to back, no cleaning.

I have worked a ton of overtime since april, hadnt got to shoot much, but felt really good after shooting like this,especially with me being rusty. This just goes to show you what a Quality action and whole gun Savage makes right out of the box.