PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 creed and Sierra's?

jr 1968
12-31-2016, 08:38 PM
Could someone give me some load data using sierra 120gr. prohunters and 140gr. gamekings?
I would appreciate it.

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!
jr 1968.

darkker
01-01-2017, 12:12 PM
Open your manuals, go to hodgy/Nosler's site....
Any similar weight data is fine.

homefrontsniper
01-01-2017, 05:49 PM
:cheer2:

chetc
01-01-2017, 06:24 PM
Could someone give me some load data using sierra 120gr. prohunters and 140gr. gamekings?
I would appreciate it.

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!
jr 1968.
was shooting yesterday and today, i can say for starters on my 6.5 CM the 120gr bullets spreads nicely around 1 1/2" they are out on my gun, the 140 ELD, the 140 SMK and the 142 SMK work ok, with the Sierra 140MK doing the best today, with the first shot out of a wet barrel was down about 1/2" and the remaining 4 were in about a 1/4" group, i am going to stock up on the bullet and try the 140 ELD,s i have about 60left in the box, been hearing alot of good things with the 140 ELD, will try some different chgs and length before i give up on them.

Chet

ps are you shooting for hunting or target, if target shooting, i suggest the SMK over the Gamekings

jr 1968
01-01-2017, 10:38 PM
chet,

Used for hunting. My Sierra manual doesn't have creed data, I didn't know if know whether or not if I could a different bullet data like nosler or hornady
for sierra bullets, that's why I asked.

Thanks guy's for the help.
jr 1968.

jr 1968
01-01-2017, 10:40 PM
chet,

Used for hunting. My Sierra manual doesn't have creed data, I didn't know if whether or not if I could a different bullet data like nosler or hornady
for sierra bullets, that's why I asked.

Thanks guy's for the help.
jr 1968.

Robinhood
01-01-2017, 10:44 PM
with the Sierra 140MK doing the best today, with the first shot out of a wet barrel was down about 1/2" and the remaining 4 were in about a 1/4" group, .

Chet

Chet, You may want to rethink shooting a "wet" barrel. Even the slightest bit of moisture can cause a hydrualic swell.

chetc
01-01-2017, 11:02 PM
Chet, You may want to rethink shooting a "wet" barrel. Even the slightest bit of moisture can cause a hydrualic swell.
hi Robinhood

it's possible.. but since i know that over the yrs when i go to a range , some of my barrels are different, i normally run a damp patch of Kroil thru my barrels after cleaning and i have this barrel sort of figured out the first bullet NORMALLY does not go with group, now my 6.5x284 with a brux takes 2 shots and good to go.

Chet

darkker
01-02-2017, 03:22 AM
It's OK Robinhood, if he doesn't count it in his groupings, then any adverse hydraulics don't exist, right??:whistle:

chetc
01-02-2017, 10:16 AM
It's OK Robinhood, if he doesn't count it in his groupings, then any adverse hydraulics don't exist, right??:whistle:

dakkar
i did was it was the first shot out of a wet barrel, NOW, if i were going to start for groups or compete... i am sure you understand i would not start with a barrel that was cleaned and not a round thru it. Right.....

LongRange
01-02-2017, 10:56 AM
chetc what Robinhood and darkker are saying is its not good to shoot a bullet through a WET barrel as it can and will cause damage to the barrel.

chetc
01-02-2017, 11:11 AM
chetc what Robinhood and darkker are saying is its not good to shoot a bullet through a WET barrel as it can and will cause damage to the barrel.

OK, Sorry Guys,, i see what you guys are getting at. not saying wet wet, a lightly coated kroil patch. thought you were referring to taking a barrel from a warm car to a 20deg shooting bench.. oh well Happy New Year gang!

Chet

LongRange
01-02-2017, 11:25 AM
WET to me means more than a drop or two of oil on a patch...after I clean(which is not to often)I run a patch with 2 drops of oil before I put the rifle away before I go to shoot it I run a dry patch or 2 through it to get the oil out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttexastom
01-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Always dry your bore before firing. These guys are correct in what they say. Don't see the merits of firing your gun this way. If i walk to my deer stand and its raining, when setting the gun down i stand it muzzle down to drain any water that is in it. Sometimes think this water is not good for even a stainless gun, and for water to get in trigger assembly a bad thing!

FW Conch
01-02-2017, 02:45 PM
Also, Kroil is a penetrating oil, and is the last thing I'd want to store My bore with. :-((

darkker
01-03-2017, 04:38 PM
OK, Sorry Guys,, i see what you guys are getting at. not saying wet wet, a lightly coated kroil patch. thought you were referring to taking a barrel from a warm car to a 20deg shooting bench.. You said you shot from a WET barrel a couple of times, not a humid barrel. I was unaware of the difference between wet wet, Vs dry wet....:rolleyes: Just be careful so you don't get a nasty surprise one day.

chetc
01-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Also, Kroil is a penetrating oil, and is the last thing I'd want to store My bore with. :-((

hi Conch

only reason i use kroil in my barrel, is a few years back at the world open at williamsport 1000yd shoot, just about all the competitors cleaned their barrel with their reg solvent and the few patches were with kroil, and then right back to the shooting line, some of the shooters were using a product from Kano who makes kroil, were coating the barrels with Penephite, a graphite lube, i use that from time to time, i notice i can shoot a few more rounds before accuracy drops.

Chet

gbflyer
01-04-2017, 12:14 AM
hi Conch

only reason i use kroil in my barrel, is a few years back at the world open at williamsport 1000yd shoot, just about all the competitors cleaned their barrel with their reg solvent and the few patches were with kroil, and then right back to the shooting line, some of the shooters were using a product from Kano who makes kroil, were coating the barrels with Penephite, a graphite lube, i use that from time to time, i notice i can shoot a few more rounds before accuracy drops.

Chet

IWhen I got my first benchrest rifle (Stolle Panda action, .22SPPC HV and 6PPC Sporter switch) in 1988 or so the smith said to lightly lube the bore with 3 in 1 and make sure to dry the chamber after cleaning and shoot it that way. The first round goes on the sighter, not on the record. Been doing it that way ever since with all other barrels and have yet to have a disaster with no other known ill effects. Does it help or harm? I have no idea. Pacnor says to shoot them oiled....maybe they want to sell you another barrel?

As to the OP, there is quite a bit of load data on the Hodgdon website. There are a few on there for Sierra bullets in other cals, don't know about the Creedmore.

FW Conch
01-04-2017, 01:11 AM
I am always willing to learn.

And I am interested to see where this goes.

Even though it is considerably off the original subject of this thread. :-)