PDA

View Full Version : My latest Project, 300 RUM

Pages : 1 [2]

ninner
01-17-2017, 11:03 PM
If the recoil starts getting to me I'm not too proud to use a lead sled. Since I have my range set up 50 yds from my back door I'm tempted to build one out of stainless and leave it out there full time.

Just get ready for the medical bills later. I had an extended range session with mine. No bruising, soreness, nothing, that day. The next day my chest was hurting. At my wifes insistence since I was so hard headed I went to the Doc and they did every test imaginable associated with "chest pain" . I didn't even think about my range session until the doctor asked the right questions after viewing my x rays. Apparently a few boxes through the beast in one day had separated my ribs from my sternum. Took quite a while to get better. Yeah, wont be doing that again.

thatguyshm
01-17-2017, 11:07 PM
I had shoulder surgery a little over a year ago, tore my labrum, and that's right where the butt of the rifle goes. I'm young enough that the big boomers still interest me, but extended range time can cause problems. So rather than shoot less, I picked up a PACT shoulder pad, meant to handle recoil up to 416 Rigby. I don't shoot without it now and got my father in law one as well. You don't feel that recoil when you are aimed at a critter, but you will feel it during load development.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ninner
01-24-2017, 09:15 PM
I installed a EWG 20 Moa one piece base and have a Swift premiere scope on the way. Hopefully I can get it zeroed in this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squirrel_slayer
01-25-2017, 09:16 PM
those are pretty good results considering how thin the barrel is. I sold a 300WM barrel identical to that for fear of accuracy issues. maybe I should have shot it first.....lol

One of the guys here (scope eye??) was all about his slow twist, light bullets at blistering speeds. he said the vapor trail was fantastic and a sight to see with large diameter bullets hauling the mail. he used bullets like barnes ttsx's. he also argued that BC was less important than one would think (inside of 600yds I believe) he said the time of flight was so quick that the bullets were effected less than their BC would indicate.

ninner
01-25-2017, 09:25 PM
I got my scope from him and we talked rums a little. If I can't get it sub moa I'm probably going to sell out the rum stuff and go with an McGowan 300 win mag varmint barrel from gun shack for $200. If I was putting together a simple hinting rifle a 1" group at 100 yds would be ok but I'd like this fancy looking bastard to put them all in the same hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ninner
01-28-2017, 12:32 AM
I traded Scope Eye for one of his 8-32x50 Swift Premier scopes and got it mounted, unfortunately the bad ass millet rings he included were not tall enough so I used some I had laying around. I couldn't bring myself to add another $85 to this build by ordering a Aics RUM CIP mag so I milled out the 338 Lapua magazine so the 300 RUM would fit, worked great. They are reworking a oil well about 150 yds down from by backstop so I guess I wont be shooting this weekend, I'd hate to see a ricochet take one of them off the derrick.