PDA

View Full Version : Ring recommendation please

Pages : 1 [2]

cowtownup
01-01-2017, 09:01 PM
I use Burris XTR signature rings. However, I have a set of Nightforce A117 rings for sale that came on a scope I just purchased.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/255434/nightforce-30mm-picatinny-style-rings-matte

Mawgie
01-01-2017, 10:08 PM
Another vote for Warne. I have them on a Savage muzzy and a Model 14 .308. On my recommendation, and with me lapping their rings and installing their scopes for free (!!) 2 buddies have them: one on a Remington CDL and the other on a Ruger American Rifle in .270. 100% flawless performance. Aesthetically, I like the vertical split, which I think looks cleaner than horizontal. Purely personal preference though.

cowtownup
01-01-2017, 10:18 PM
What is you guys trick to leveling a scope with that vertical split? That is probably the most aggravating thing about installing those Warne rings IMO.

Sleeper99
01-01-2017, 10:30 PM
You just tighten the bottoms first to nice and finger snug. The top screws are just barely in and only grabbing a few threads. Then you level to scope, torque your bottom screws to 25in/lbs and then when you tighten to top screws the scope doesn't rotate at all. My biggest issue with horizontally split rings is torquing the ring together and keeping the scope level. Maybe it's just me, we seem to have opposite problems.

Robinhood
01-01-2017, 10:35 PM
Warne Fan here for the under 100 dollar set. I like the lightweights for walking hunter stuff. Heavy QD's for the FTR.

Mawgie
01-01-2017, 10:41 PM
cowtownup,

Level the gun in a vise, level the scope loose in the rings, tighten ring bolts in an x pattern to 25 in lbs with thread locker, monitor the leveling as you go. What specific trouble are you having?

tcoz
01-03-2017, 08:14 AM
Do the Warne tactical rings only differ in that they have three screws at the top of the ring? Any other differences besides the price?

NicfromAlabama
01-03-2017, 09:19 AM
Do the Warne tactical rings only differ in that they have three screws at the top of the ring? Any other differences besides the price?

I think the tactical rings are Picatinny style only.......meaning they will work on a Picatinny mount, but not a Weaver style. The regular rings are Weaver style. Weaver style will work on a Picatinny or Weaver style base. It is because the spacing on the Weaver is a bit narrower than Picatinny. I don't think the Warne Tactical rings are offered in a low version either. I've never found the need to use the tactical rings, but I do like to use Picatinny style rails because it offers more flexibility when mounting the scope.

tcoz
01-03-2017, 09:45 AM
You're right Nic. They aren't offered in a low version. I guess they're definitely meant for mounting on an AR in that case. I would think however, that for three times the price there must be something else different about them. Doesn't matter though. I have the standard version on order from Amazon, but they're out of stock right now.

NicfromAlabama
01-03-2017, 07:50 PM
I can't tell you why, but for some reason, Picatinny style rings are always more expensive. I use the Warne Weaver style rings in Ultra High on all my scoped AR-15s, and they are not as expensive as Warne's Tactical type. (Yeah, Warne also makes Weaver type rings for the AR too.) I might consider the Tactical style on a heavy kicking caliber, which I don't shoot, or if the price was better. Otherwise the Weaver style works just fine.

cowtownup
01-03-2017, 08:32 PM
They are just more cumbersome to mount. I like being able to set a scope down in a set of rings... Its just easier IMO...

Iowa Fox
01-05-2017, 04:40 PM
Do not leave out Burris Sig. Zee rings , These will be your best friend
will not leave ring marks , plus you can adj. the cant

The Burris Signature is all that I will use anymore, either the original or the XTR. Why put ring marks on a 1000 dollar scope or any scope for that matter, adjustable cant all the way to 40 MOA with the XTRs. And Standard bases.