PDA

View Full Version : Magazine compatibility: 22-250 rifle in a .308 stock. Will it feed correctly.

NicfromAlabama
12-30-2016, 01:53 AM
I've done a bit of searching here and elsewhere, and cannot find a definitive answer. I currently have a HS Precision stock that went with my 10 FP SR .308. I removed that rifle from the HS Precision stock and have it in a chassis system now, but I saved the stock with plans of using it later. My plans are to purchase a 12FV from Cabela's and use the 12FV in the HS Precision. I was planning on purchasing another .308, but I have really been thinking about trying a 22-250. I don't own a 22-250. Looking at case dimensions, I think it will work, but does anyone know if there will be feed issues with the 22-250?

darkker
12-30-2016, 07:45 AM
Because the only honest definitive answer is: Maybe.
Savage is many things, but built with strict part tolerances AIN'T one of them.

I've had a 7mm Rem Mag swapped to 22-250 work flawlessly. But then again, I've had a 243 to Creed not work.

MI223
12-30-2016, 08:45 AM
It should... but you can never really be sure until you try. I am sure with a little patience and finesse it will work fine

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

ninner
12-30-2016, 09:02 AM
All I can say for sure is mine does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NicfromAlabama
12-30-2016, 03:39 PM
I appreciate the replies. No one said no, and ninner is a definite yes....at least with his. I read here and elsewhere on the subject, with some people saying "absolutely not". So, I had that little bit of doubt. But, looking at my magazine that goes with the HS Precision stock, I was thinking it should work. The magazine with my HS Precision stock is tapered in more towards the front compared to the Accuracy International (AI) mags in my .308 chassis, and I have read of people using the AI mags for the .22-250 case with success........the exception being the 10 round mag at full capacity. Apparently the bullets tilt down when loaded more than 7 in the AI mag. The lips on the AI mags look almost parallel to me. The HS Precision is just a 3 round magazine.

If I can catch the rifle on sale again in 22-250, I'm going to give it a whirl. I hate I missed the 12FV on sale (with rebate) a while back. The current price is not bad, but I will wait and see if they are marked down again.

I would be fine with either .308 or 22-250, as I have enough components for either. I don't have dies for the 22-250, but plenty of powder and .22 caliber bullets. Thanks.

LHitchcox
12-30-2016, 05:50 PM
I had feeding issues when I went from 7-08 to .22-250 in a centerfeed mag. The shorter case with its greater taper caused the cartridge to often tilt down and the bullet tip would hit the bottom face of the barrel instead of feeding. I could get it to feed pretty well if I were careful to feed the cases into the front of the mag.

I finally bought a Ruger American in .22-250 hoping to cure the feeding issue, but it also uses a .243 length mag and has the same problem. I need to call Ruger and ask for suggestions.

NicfromAlabama
12-30-2016, 07:18 PM
I had feeding issues when I went from 7-08 to .22-250 in a centerfeed mag. The shorter case with its greater taper caused the cartridge to often tilt down and the bullet tip would hit the bottom face of the barrel instead of feeding. I could get it to feed pretty well if I were careful to feed the cases into the front of the mag.

I finally bought a Ruger American in .22-250 hoping to cure the feeding issue, but it also uses a .243 length mag and has the same problem. I need to call Ruger and ask for suggestions.

Well, it seems I won't know for absolute sure until I try. As I said, the centerfeed magazine with the HS Precision stock has a very visible taper. I thought perhaps there might be another magazine type that I could purchase for that stock, but I cannot find any information about the bottom metal and magazine that came with the stock. I am not even sure what people do when they buy a stock that does not include the bottom metal and magazine. I got out the caliper and checked the distance from the feed lips on the AI and HS Precision magazine. The AI magazine does have taper to it, but the HS magazine is more noticeable. Also, the HS magazine tapers just as much in the back as the AI does in the front, so there is a significant difference. The overall case length is what seems to concern me more. Just like you said, I have read about placing the case closer to the front of the magazine when loaded. Below is an overhead picture of my 5 round AI magazine and the magazine from the HS Precision stock. It is not a good picture, but you can see the taper is much more pronounced on the HS Precision magazine.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t496/nicfin36/AI%20mag%20vs%20HS%20Mag_zpsx1egzn7e.jpg (http://s1062.photobucket.com/user/nicfin36/media/AI%20mag%20vs%20HS%20Mag_zpsx1egzn7e.jpg.html)

S. Blair
12-31-2016, 09:29 PM
I did exactly what you're thinking about doing, I bought a 12FV and put it in a FCP-SR stock and with two different Savage .308 10 round mags it feeds 22-250 perfectly!

NicfromAlabama
12-31-2016, 10:27 PM
I did exactly what you're thinking about doing, I bought a 12FV and put it in a FCP-SR stock and with two different Savage .308 10 round mags it feeds 22-250 perfectly!

That's good to know. How does the rifle shoot?

S. Blair
01-03-2017, 11:10 PM
It shoots my 53gr V-max handloads into a ragged hole, and it even shoots the 45gr Winchester white box ammo easily under an inch!

toddcdozer
01-03-2017, 11:23 PM
Nothing a crescent wrench won't fix. I have had plenty of 30-06 Savages not feed 30-06 lol. Small adjustments and you are good to go. Not rocket science for sure.

Swift4Yotes
01-04-2017, 09:11 AM
It shoots my 53gr V-max handloads into a ragged hole, and it even shoots the 45gr Winchester white box ammo easily under an inch!

I have a 12fv in 22 250 and a Steven's 200 that I put a 12v barrel and stock on. They both shot 53 v max very well but did even better with 60 Nosler bt's. I load both bullets with 34 grains of Varget and cci 200 primers and load them at book coal. Not odd to put 5 of the 60 Nosler at or under .5". Once cleaned they do need a few fouling shots to come back to zero but after sitting dirty for a few months they are still right there on the first shot.

NicfromAlabama
01-04-2017, 02:43 PM
I was specifically planning on trying the 53 grain v-max and maybe something a little heavier. So, I'm glad to hear that. Thanks.