PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Mark II FV-SR is on it's way

Hollowpoint
12-29-2016, 10:56 PM
Hello,
Found this site last night while researching my new project and have a few questions about the Savage Mark II FV-SR:

Anything to watch out for on the first disassembly and cleaning?

How is the finish on these models? I have a good connection for Cerakote (http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/)and wondering if I should just plan ahead and pick some color options.

This will have a Yankee Hill Machine Mite suppressor attached 99% of the time.

Anyone familiar with this model? Comments, Feedback?
Any recommendations for sub-sonic ammo?
On a side-note. I was treating the threads with Never Seize (Anti-seize compound) one day and decided to coat the entire guts of the can (wet can theory). It helps greatly with sound suppression, as well as with routine clean-up. All the carbon, powder residue, etc. is attached to the coating and washes right off with Brake Cleaner.

Been reading a lot about replacement stocks. And have a lot more to read (;

Is it easier to find a better quality OEM Savage stock?
Or just deal with bedding and other tweaks I see that most Boyd's stocks need?
Any stocks out there that will just "drop in"?

Scopes:

I'm all over the place. I have Leupold, Vortex, AimPoint, IOR-Valdada but leaning towards Vortex.
Your thoughts, opinions? Reading a lot and much more to read (;

Advice, pointers, etc. more than welcome!!!

Thanks in Advance!!!!!
HollowPoint

justinp61
12-30-2016, 03:28 PM
Lot's of good info here. Check out the Apachee trigger kit while you looking aound.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24

AndrewX
12-30-2016, 09:29 PM
Welcome HollowPoint,

I've owned a Mark II FV-SR for a while and it is a great little rifle. It is light, handy, durable but most of all, a very accurate .22 rifle that is great for informal target shooting, plinking and small game. Mine wears a Nikon P22 scope and a surplus web sling.

Nothing special to note for the first disassembly or cleaning. I recommend the Sinclair bore guide if you use a cleaning rod.

Concerning Cerakote, the standard finish is very basic but also durable. If you're okay with black, I'd save the money for something else.

I don't have a suppressor on mine but I can say that my rifle's favorite ammo is the CCI Segmented HP loads (both standard velocity and the "Quiet" sub-sonic load) and Wolf Match Target.

The OE stock and so initially I thought about replacing it but the rifle shoots so well as is that I found it hard to justify.

Regarding a scope, all of the brands you listed are great. To make a specific recommendation, I'd need to know how are you going to be using (target and range) the rifle?

justinp61
12-31-2016, 07:12 PM
Check out Mueller scopes.

sazeracjack
12-31-2016, 09:12 PM
I replaced the stock on my Mark II with a Boyd's Varmit Pro. Used to be called "Tactical Cool." Or something like that....anyway, I just installed a Nikon Rimfire 3-9X40 scope. I received it for Christmas and really am enjoying it. For a bipod, I went with a Academy Sporting Goods budget bipod and it works fine.
Enjoy your shooting!

Hollowpoint
01-03-2017, 08:59 PM
Thank you ALL for the warm welcome and feedback.
Researching scopes led me to some articles about Athlon Optics (http://athlonoptics.com/product-category/riflescopes/). Some very interesting models with options seen in scopes costing much more. Anyone familiar with them?

RC20
01-04-2017, 03:50 PM
I am not.

I would strongly consider a Leopold Rimfire 3- to 7x as I recall. Great scope.

If I got one again I would consider the dot (several to choose from). 1/8 target to 3/8 as I recall. Dots are pretty good.

bg7m
02-21-2017, 10:03 AM
I have a MKII FVSR, when I first got it, it misfired about every 3-4 shots, cleaned the bolt and hasn't misfired again. I mounted a Charles Daly 4x12 scope on it and at 40 yards, this thing is a great shooter.

Armed in Utah
02-21-2017, 10:52 AM
picked up one a year or so ago......great little accurate rifle...........Nikon scope P22 I believe.......great bargain from Savage !

Phranque
02-21-2017, 11:09 PM
I had an FV-SR until I got my hands on a TRR-SR... 24" fluted/threaded barrel instead of 18", and it comes with a Boyd's style composite stock already. With that in mind, mine wears a SilencerCo Stainless Sparrow, a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 BDC, and a Caldwell bipod. For the most part I shoot Gemtech 42gr 1020fps subsonic, and the round hitting the backstop and the click of the trigger are far louder than the shot going off... It puts a grin on my face every time. It's not match ammo, but it'll hold sub-moa @ 50, and just over moa at 100. If I load up some CCI "Stangers", I can ring a 12" plate at 300 with the BDC reticle. You have the supersonic crack, but the shot itself is still extremely hearing safe. I LOVE this little rifle...

Oh, yeah.... Welcome to the site!