PDA

View Full Version : Savage barrels...

duhast
08-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Is it safe to assume that Savage sells just barrels for their guns? I haven't been able to find the source for factory barrels.

lostart
08-12-2010, 08:08 PM
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,1076.0.html

rigelb79
08-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Nope actually Savage sells no factory barrels to the public.I called and the lady said to me they sell no barrels. I am sure that if you send in a gun for repair they will replace a barrel if it is damaged but they will not sell just a barrel. If you want a barrel it will be a takeoff factory, or aftermarket replacement. They know if they sold barrels people would by one rifle and then a bunch of barrels.

duhast
08-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Nope actually Savage sells no factory barrels to the public.I called and the lady said to me they sell no barrels. I am sure that if you send in a gun for repair they will replace a barrel if it is damaged but they will not sell just a barrel. If you want a barrel it will be a takeoff factory, or aftermarket replacement. They know if they sold barrels people would by one rifle and then a bunch of barrels.

Huh. I was under the impression that was part of the draw of Savage, I mean, that's where the accuracy comes from.

I guess this is what I'm curious about... How does something like a Shaw compare to a factory Savage barrel?

uad7116
08-13-2010, 12:45 AM
Norhlander sells some factory take-off barrels he's one of the vendors on this site

the bearhunter
08-15-2010, 08:28 AM
i'm also looking for a new barrel. i have a model 12 heavy barrel that is getting weak in the rifling and not shooting like it used to. what 22-250 barrel would be the best bang for the buck. thanks

Stu
08-15-2010, 01:30 PM
[quote=rigelb79 ]
I guess this is what I'm curious about... How does something like a Shaw compare to a factory Savage barrel?

I bought a Shaw barrel in 6 mm Rem. a couple of months ago. It's an outstanding shooter. I have bought Shillen and Mcgowen before and for the difference in price my next purchase will be a Shaw also. As a side note; I do not shoot any competition , and for my shooting if it will shoot .5 moa or better i'm happy with it. And the Shaw barrel will shoot to my expectations with no more work then either of the others. This is with handloads off of bags off the hood of the truck at 285 - 620 yds. So it may shoot better with more workup an better rests, as may the others. ;D

DannoBoone
08-15-2010, 10:20 PM
I usually try to buy U.S. goods, but I've wondered about these:

http://www.bergarabarrels.com/bergarabarrels/drop-in-barrels/savage-rifle-barrels.html

Would a 110 Savage barrel fit a Mod 12 action, assuming one is replacing the same caliber?

These barrels are now made the same way Shilen makes their barrels.

82boy
08-15-2010, 11:30 PM

http://www.bergarabarrels.com/bergarabarrels/drop-in-barrels/savage-rifle-barrels.html

Would a 110 Savage barrel fit a Mod 12 action, assuming one is replacing the same caliber?

Yes a 110 and 12 share the same threading.

Do a search Bergara barrels and the dangers of using them has been covered in the past.

Just about all barrels are made in similar fashion but that doesn't make then equal. Bergara claims that they was advised by Ed Shilen, but that doesn't say that they are made like Shilen barrels, which Ed Shilen no longer owns, or has anything to do with. It could be they offered Ed Shilen a ton of cash to endorse them. If you want a Shilen barrel just buy one, they are cheaper and better made (Made in Texas USA) than a Bergara.

earl39
08-16-2010, 08:20 AM
have to watch out for the model 12. the 12 target action is large shank. i am not sure about the other model 12's. but shank size is the only thing you have to worry about because where the shank is the same size the threads are the same.

hope i said that right it is way to early in the morning for me

AVanGorder
08-16-2010, 01:00 PM
i'm also looking for a new barrel. i have a model 12 heavy barrel that is getting weak in the rifling and not shooting like it used to. what 22-250 barrel would be the best bang for the buck. thanks

I've never purchased one, but the price is good.
http://www.eabco.com/savagebarrels.htm

Adrian
avangorder@aol.com

the bearhunter
08-17-2010, 08:35 AM
i tied to p.m. you but this site won't let me >:(

bootsmcguire
08-17-2010, 07:30 PM

I bought a CVA Optima Elite before I bought my fIrst Savage. I had fired Savages before and loved them but at the time was unaware of the user friendliness of Savage Rifles. At the time opted for the CVA because of the interchangeable barrels from Bergara being about $160 at the time. Wouldn't recommend them. The QC wasn't very good. I had a 22-250 Heavy barrel and a 30-06. The 22-250 was a tack driver but it was a bad mark inside the chamber and would allow the brass to "blow out" into the void and would require FL sizing to get them back into the chamber. Upon 2nd firing it would cause the case head to seperate. The 30-06 had a good chamber but I couldn't get better than a 3" group at 100, so after being basicly told by Bergara to pi$$ off, I sold it to a buddy that uses the 22-250 on the occassional coyote and just pitches his brass.

DannoBoone
08-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the "heads-up" on Bergara, guys. Just looking down the road when I may need to replace a barrel on
one of my VLP's: .22-250, .243, and .25-06. Would prefer to go .243AI but neither E.A.B. or Bergara offers an
AI'd .243. But then, I'm a fan of both Shilen and PacNor.

bootsmcguire, I had similar bad results with a factory .25-06 in my Encore. Three inches was about the best it
would do. Their Customer Disservice was of no help in "customer satisfaction". Such things can really leave a
bitter taste in one's mouth, can it not? I paid twice the price to Virgin Valley Custom Guns (closed :'( ) for
an Encore barrel (Shilen) which is a tack driver. Am toying with the idea of a stainless 7mm-08 barrel for it, but
it just ain't gonna happen with T/C.

bootsmcguire
08-17-2010, 10:27 PM
It's sad when a company doesn't back up what they sell. they would sell alot more if they backed it up, I think that whay Savage does so well, I have never had to deal with customer service yet but I have heard that Savage's customer service is excellent. As far as CVA and Bergara, The barrel shooting big groups I can understand i guess (it was a light sporter in 30-06), but when the 22-250 barrel was new on the gun and had a horrible (what I can only guess to be) reamer mark that was deep enough to distort brass from rechambering, it makes me concerned. I must say even with the bad chamber the barrel made groups that looked like they came from my Savage, so I guess they can't all be bad. I guess I would give em one more chance and if they burn me, then never again. :D