PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Engineers

okie2
08-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Not only Savage but the other gun makers do the same thing.
when you load for bullet touching the lands
then you find they don't fit in the mag (too long).
What is wrong with these guys.

racinready300ex
08-12-2010, 05:58 PM
So should they check that there mags work with every possible bullet combination you might come up with? Even though most people will just use factory ammo and never know the difference.

defoxer
08-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Maybe they don't want you to touch the lands ::)
mag length does a good job in preventing this :o
anyhow, not many dumb Engineers over these parts, a dumb student doesnt usually get all the way throu Uni over here (down under) if they get in to uni at all!
Now a LAZY Engineer.... is a different story

Con
08-13-2010, 03:39 AM
What is wrong with these guys.

They're decisions are driven by lawyers.
Cheers...
Con

ultramag44
08-13-2010, 07:38 AM
Here's a way to defeat them if you really feel the need. ;)

Get a long-action gun, and replace the barrel w/ one chamberd it in your short-action caliber! ;D

Example: a 30/06 length action with a barrel in 7mm-08, .308 etc.

This reminds me of the guy who had a Ford engine in a Plymouth. When quized why the Ford engine, his reply was: "Cuz ah blew up the Oldsmobile engine." :o

flatshooter
08-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Find a bullet that isn't as long as others.... an accubond is longer than gamekings.. the bond hits the mag when loading multiple cartridges, the kings don't when bullet is touching the lands.

tammons
08-13-2010, 10:01 AM
I would not say they are dumb.

Its most likely to handle all sorts of bullets.
Probably more likely to load all factory ammo without jamming the bullet.

Maybe in the larger calibers they are set up to load roundnose bullets at standard length
off the lands.

If you hand load a roundnose bullet at max mag length you will be into the lands.

Custom throating is pretty common as most bench shooters need to tweak the freebore.

I would suggest you do that.

geargrinder
08-13-2010, 08:34 PM
That's why all of my short action barrels are on long actions. The only short action I have has my 338 Edge barrel on it.

Maybe I have things backwards, maybe I'm just a dumb engineer.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/113301295v13_225x225_Front_padToSqu.png