PDA

View Full Version : Barrel crown question

Pages : 1 [2]

Zero333
12-28-2016, 12:25 AM
Also forgot to mention. It does not looks like they finished the crown with a chamfer. As far as I know, 90deg recessed crowns have a visible chamfer, unless all that fouling and gunky looking stuff is hiding the chamfer.

big honkin jeep
12-28-2016, 12:56 AM
See if the scope base screws are bottomed out early. They will be tight but sometimes bottom out through the action against the barrel nut in the front hole before the screw head secures the base.
Just something else to check.

ninner
12-28-2016, 01:10 AM
If your talking about the picture I posted to show him what mine looks like, (my assumption since I can't see his pic). My barrel shoots a ragged hole @ 100 yds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyShackle
12-28-2016, 01:27 AM
If your talking about the picture I posted to show him what mine looks like, (my assumption since I can't see his pic). My barrel shoots a ragged hole @ 100 yds

I believe the pic by JTM35A2, It appears to have some pitting as noted, and a rough crown, although its hard to tell in the pics, sometimes, what appears to be something bad in a pic in actuality is just some dust or lint... That being said the Long Range crown article seems to have debunked crown and accuracy issues.

If it is under warranty I would probably box it up and send it back.

RC20
12-28-2016, 11:37 AM

I believe its his picture. Not sure why you can't see it.

Yours is not a threaded, I have no knowledge of what Savage does under the protective thread cap.

OP picture is plain flat cut and a tad raggedy on the edges, I have seen pictures of far worse that shoot fine.

Until someone gets us a picture of what another one looks like? Its mostly cosmetic and maybe they don't waste money on finish.

As for assessing pictures, Unfortunately light and flatness make for no 3D and color shifts can change appearance.

Its a very good picture, just limitations. until someone who has one can compare them.

I don't see much copper, barrel end looks fairly typical Savage roughness (normal and they still shoot fine)
I do have the Lyman Boroscope and have looked at 4 Savage barrels now and they all look alike. Cringe worthy for finish, definitely hard to clean and hold carbon, shooting good on the Varmint style and still working on the pencil.

Lead seems impossible. He is shooting copper bullets. I can only guess is light/flash camera color rendition.

gbflyer
12-28-2016, 01:32 PM
Headspace problems will cause a litany of.problems but not from the bullet jump.

For a 6 in group problem I would say something is loose. Action screws, scope screws or even possibly a barrel nut. Use the paper.test.to be sure the barrel is free floated all the.way to the recoil lug.including.the barrel nut.

Get a.fat.wrench and check torque on all action and scope screws

It isn't the crown

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/rifle-crown-1.php

Thanks for the link. I have a habit of sweating the crown too much. In all probability it seems totally unwarranted.

NicfromAlabama
12-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Below are two pics of the crown on my .308 10FP SR with 24" barrel. One has the muzzle protector on it. It shoots very well. I had an Axis that took 100 rounds or so for it to settle down. The groups were not 6 inches, but probably 4 inches at 100 yards at first.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t496/nicfin36/10FPSR%20Muzzle%202_zps8y6wfwny.jpg (http://s1062.photobucket.com/user/nicfin36/media/10FPSR%20Muzzle%202_zps8y6wfwny.jpg.html)

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t496/nicfin36/10FPSR%20Muzzle%201_zpsuekfzisp.jpg (http://s1062.photobucket.com/user/nicfin36/media/10FPSR%20Muzzle%201_zpsuekfzisp.jpg.html)

Zero333
12-28-2016, 06:54 PM
Kool.

Thanks for cleaning it and taking those pics.

Now I can see the crown looks good, so no worries there.

The only option you have now is to buy a box of the expensive and proven Match ammo "308 Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr Matchking", and see how that shoots.
If it doesn't shoot sub-moa with the Federal GM Match, then you have to send the rifle back to Savage, they will make it right.

All I can think of right now is a very bad barrel.

Nevermind !
Just noticed the last pics are from a different barrel and not the OP's !

RC20
12-28-2016, 06:59 PM
Below are two pics of the crown on my .308 10FP SR with 24" barrel. One has the muzzle protector on it. It shoots very well. I had an Axis that took 100 rounds or so for it to settle down. The groups were not 6 inches, but probably 4 inches at 100 yards at first.

Good pictures, thank you. It looks like Savage just puts a cap on it and no finish on the crown itself.

jtm35a2
12-28-2016, 10:00 PM
My barrel looked just like nicfromalaba's before it fired those 25+ roinds. I have guns that have fired hundreds of rounds with zero buildup.I have never even studied the crown on a rifle until searching for possible reasons for my problem.

NicfromAlabama
12-28-2016, 10:29 PM
My barrel looked just like nicfromalaba's before it fired those 25+ roinds. I have guns that have fired hundreds of rounds with zero buildup.I have never even studied the crown on a rifle until searching for possible reasons for my problem.

My advice, for what it is worth..........send it back and quit wasting time and money on ammo. My 10FP SR shot fine from the start. But, I had a problem with my .223 Axis. I have read they have rough bores, and mine did. But, it also shot very low. I did a bunch of troubleshooting, ring/scope swaps, shot a bunch of ammo. In the end, I resorted to Burris Signature Zee rings to bring up the elevation, and even with that, it was a pain since I had to use the highest inserts for both rings. It shoots good now though, but I wished I had sent it back. Don't waste so much time and money on yours like I did.

toddcdozer
12-28-2016, 11:45 PM
That barrel looks like &*(*&^&*(^*&^. Chatter marks and IDK what all. I would have a conniption fit with that.

1953greg
12-29-2016, 01:23 AM
if mounts are secure and scope good then too slow twist is the only thing i have ever seen to cause that bad accuracy. i have seen too heavy bullet for too slow twist and be off a foot at 50yds. twist is prolly 10 or less. check yours. somthin could have gone wrong with that somewhere....maybe.

RC20
12-29-2016, 03:45 PM
That barrel looks like &*(*&^&*(^*&^. Chatter marks and IDK what all. I would have a conniption fit with that.

Get the Lyman Boro scope and then tell me that!

Between myself and my brother, we have looked at 15 barrels. The finish has nothing to do with how they shoot!

Savage just does not polish (loss of rightr word) to the barrel. Others do. As near as I can tell, the barrel is easier to clean but accuracy is not affected.

Some like the Remington barrels look great, shoots ok, but not better than the Savage that looks like *&^%. Its hammer forged I believe.

toddcdozer
12-29-2016, 05:02 PM
Get the Lyman Boro scope and then tell me that!

Between myself and my brother, we have looked at 15 barrels. The finish has nothing to do with how they shoot!

Savage just does not polish (loss of rightr word) to the barrel. Others do. As near as I can tell, the barrel is easier to clean but accuracy is not affected.

Some like the Remington barrels look great, shoots ok, but not better than the Savage that looks like *&^%. Its hammer forged I believe.Sorry I haven't shot a factory barrel in about 15 yrs. I must be a barrel snob. I have looked at over 16 barrels with a scope and to the naked eye that one looks like &%(%&^*&. I am sure it would look like a trainwreck with a scope as well.
It MAY shoot just fine but it's still a trainwreck of a barrel that no manufacturer would be PROUD to produce except maybe some guy in a mud hut in Afghanistan.

RC20
12-29-2016, 10:11 PM
As noted, cameral, flash etc can make things look worse, I would want to see it in person

Its not out of line with Savage barrels these days.

I looked at a Savage screw on today, may be the same model.

While its not fancy, the front is definitely cleaner and neater that what is on that gun

Again it looks like a call to Savage and a return.

My WWI barrel look pretty bad as well, they still shoot well.

1953greg
12-29-2016, 10:58 PM
looks to me like there is a "rim" at the bore opening. like the crown was squished by the brake. anyone else see that? there should be a slight chamfer there, not a rim. if so then that surely would wreak havoc. a chamfer would surely help. prolly could be done w/ a chamfer/deburring tool. worth a try if its shootin that bad

bowfishn
12-30-2016, 12:10 AM
I read the crown article and one of the comments made made a lot of sense, depending on the load, very hot or very mild, the type of powder etc. the crown is more critical with a hot load extreme pressure exiting the muzzle vs lower load less pressure at muzzle. The barrel on this rifle being 18" would have greater exit pressure gases than one exiting a barrel with same load that was 26". I know I had problems with a muzzle crown and it made a huge difference in group size out of my 30-06 Sako Finnbear with 24" barrel. Load was 60.5 Grains H-205 behind a 165 gr boattail, I am sure it still had alot of muzzle pressure when leaving the barrel. Just my opinion.