PDA

View Full Version : New found love for the Long Action flat back

ninner
12-27-2016, 12:28 PM
I just traded a fellow member for a Long action flat back receiver with a Factory 112 small shank stainless 300 RUM barrel, the one with the on/off brake. The rear flat on the receiver is level so that is a plus. What I can't believe is the feel of the trigger I'm not sure who tuned this 3 screw trigger but it makes any accutrigger I own feel like a serious downgrade. I'm not sure if I'll stay with the RUM long term but if I can find some semi affordable ammo or brass I'm going to at least see how it shoots. I was at Cabelas Monday and the only ammo they had for it was $61, Too rich for my blood.

Does anyone know the time frame that Savage was building Small Shank 300 RUM barrels with the on/off brake?

Back to the action,
It was built in 1987
I had one years ago but that was before I did any work myself.
Are there any downsides to building on these actions?
I like the feel of the metal safety.
The bolt has a screw slot, Can it be replaced with hex? Should I?

Thanks,
Ninner

Rstrick0352
12-27-2016, 01:06 PM
I'm right there with you. I put a timney on my long/short 110 and it's the best trigger I've ever handled. Accutriggers are great for what they are, but that older setup lends itself to even better tuning.

RC20
12-27-2016, 08:30 PM
If you can get it out, I would replace the screw/fastener with a hex (easiest)

Hate slots, hate philiips. Love square, hex is ok, torx is sort of ok but I don't like it. (IMNSHO)

Wildcat
12-27-2016, 09:02 PM
Ninner,
Yes, the slotted BAS on the rear of the bolt can be replaced with the more recent hex version. I just completed the exact swap you are asking about on a flat back long action chambered in 7 Mag. It also had a three screw factory trigger identical to the one in your photo. I didn't have a parallel bladed screw driver large enough to fit the slot, so I put multiple layers of painters tape on the largest flat blade screwdriver to create tight fit. It turned off very easily compared to the recent battle I had with hex BAS that must have been factory assembled by a gorilla. If that didn't work, I was prepared to use the edge of a 12-inch piece of spare bar stock I had lying around that fit the slot perfectly. Good luck! :smile-new:

ninner
12-27-2016, 09:32 PM
I ended up putting a quarter in my woodworking vice and it worked perfectly to unscrew it I will probably leave it alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smokey262
12-27-2016, 10:21 PM
The receiver s/n shows 1987, but the 300 RUM did not arrive on the scene until much later

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Remington_Ultra_Magnum

BillPa
12-27-2016, 10:58 PM
Ninner,
I didn't have a parallel bladed screw driver large enough to fit the slot, so I put multiple layers of painters tape on the largest flat blade screwdriver to create tight fit.
The steel rule from a combination square is a perfect fit in the slot. :p

Bill

Wildcat
12-28-2016, 07:20 PM
Bill,
I appreciate you sharing that bit in information. Thank you and I'll keep it in mind for next time.