PDA

View Full Version : 300 BLK Savage??

Slickyboyboo
12-26-2016, 12:37 AM
Anyone here done a barrel swap, and converted a .223 to a 300 BLK? If so, how did it work out? I've heard that they can have feeding issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ninner
12-26-2016, 06:47 AM
I never had any feeding issue but I had to extract very fast or the case would end up laying backwards on the magazine, this could have been fixed with the extractor mod but I built a 300 blackout AR and lost interest .

adammiddagh
12-26-2016, 08:59 AM
125tnt hpfb feed fine. I tried to find a cast light bullet that would work, but anything short and blunt will have issues hanging up on the chamber face. I just sold my barrel, but always wanted to try some outlaw state bullets(heavy subsonics made to expand at very low velocity).

As far as extraction, the case is so short that it will rotate most of the way out of the extractor to touch the action wall. With new/mod parts, it extracted right about 2/3rds of the time.

Definitely fun to play with suppressed, but I came to the conclusion that it works best in an ar with adjustable gas block, or maybe piston driven system.

ninner
12-26-2016, 09:04 AM
In an AR a pistol length gas system is the way to go. I have two and they will cycle anything. Subs, Super, light or heavy. I don't have a can yet and it still cycles subs reliably.

adammiddagh
12-26-2016, 09:24 AM
In an AR a pistol length gas system is the way to go. I have two and they will cycle anything. Subs, Super, light or heavy. I don't have a can yet and it still cycles subs reliably.

I should clarify. I built an AR 300blk pistol with pistol length gas system and it did cycle fine. But the gas from the action made it obnoxious to shoot. I only imagine a suppressor would have made the bolt gas noise worse. That is why I suggest a adjustable gas block or piston driven system; I have not tried one setup this way, but imagine that it would be an improvement.

Slickyboyboo
12-26-2016, 09:27 AM
I've actually got an AR, that I built with a pistol length gas system, and an adj has block, and it's an absolute dream to shoot. I just was thinking of tinkering with a bolt action.

Adam, I'm pretty sure it was I that bought your barrel.

adammiddagh
12-26-2016, 09:54 AM
I've actually got an AR, that I built with a pistol length gas system, and an adj has block, and it's an absolute dream to shoot. I just was thinking of tinkering with a bolt action.

Adam, I'm pretty sure it was I that bought your barrel.

Cool. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I have dies and headspace gauge that I haven't got around to listing yet. PM me if you need anything.

Thanks, Adam.

Rich Coyle
12-26-2016, 08:22 PM
I will join the ranks of the modified .223 to .300 Blackout very soon. All the parts are at the 'smith.

JASmith
12-27-2016, 09:59 AM
Anyone here done a barrel swap, and converted a .223 to a 300 BLK? If so, how did it work out? I've heard that they can have feeding issues.

Why?

A lot of folks go to different cartridges "just because it can be done."

I respect this logic as much as I respect deep seated ballistics and handling considerations.

Slickyboyboo
12-27-2016, 11:51 AM
Why?

A lot of folks go to different cartridges "just because it can be done."

I respect this logic as much as I respect deep seated ballistics and handling considerations.

I just want to build something a bit different in a bolt action. I didn't want the standard Rem 700 or Micro 7.

JASmith
12-27-2016, 08:17 PM
I just want to build something a bit different in a bolt action. I didn't want the standard Rem 700 or Micro 7...
I can't think of a better reason!

That's part of why I have both a 20 Grendel and a 6.5 Grendel!

Slickyboyboo
12-30-2016, 10:02 AM
I can't think of a better reason!

That's part of why I have both a 20 Grendel and a 6.5 Grendel!

Exactly! I just had a 280 AI built for a LR setup. A bit out of the ordinary, but it's a really cool round!

Twostepct
12-30-2016, 10:26 AM
I have an axis that I converted and I love it. I had extraction problems as well and ordered a larger detent and different extractor from sharp shooters supply (long wait but worth it) and all is well. I have an upper in 300 as well but I wouldn't get rid of my bolt gun to just have it, but I do shoot it suppressed.