PDA

View Full Version : Savage model 12 additions (subtractions really)

I'vebeenduped
12-25-2016, 08:18 PM
I have a savage model 12 BVSS in .308. It is a heavy rascal. I'm thinking on having some weight taken off but, I don't know how unrealistic this idea is. I was considering the MDSS LSS_XL chassis. It's expensive, for me at any rate, but I'm wondering what the weight reduction would be and if it is enough of a reduction to make a difference. I don't have any opinions on the buttstock, buffer tube, or grip at this point as I am still stuck on the decision to purchase in the first place. I took it hunting with me a few years back and it was certainly heavy. I don't mind a hefty rifle but this was a bit much. I hope this isn't too vague for anyone. I love this rifle and it shoots much better than I am able to. I don't want to make it my safe queen and really want to give it much more off the bench use. I hope you all have some ideas that could make this work for me a bit better. Thanks!

By the way, my glass is a Vortex Viper 6-24 50mm with aluminum rings.

RC20
12-26-2016, 12:28 PM
That is one nice rifle! Sur is not a hunter unless you sit on top of a hill and snipe from there though.

In my opinion the stock is not going to change much weight wise. That's a laminated stock and they are pretty light to start with.

The bulks of the wright is in the barrel.

Conundrum is that if you want to keep that gun, the best weight loss is a pencil or heavy hunter profile barrel.

That world cost a bit and if you don't have the tools its a one off.

Cost wise the choice really is to sell it and buy one more appropriate for hunting

Or buy a separate one for hunting and keep that one for target.

Your scope is overkill for hunting but good for target shooting to 300 yards. Its a good scope and dialed back is fine for hunting, just more than is needed (9X is plenty good for most hunting)

That stock is going to cost you a bundle as well and not get you that much.

You might want to just grab a Cabell 11/116 when they put them on sale for $150 off (split between their discount and a Savage rebate)

That would probably be close to the cost of the stock.

There should be good sales coming soon.

Keep the scope and sell the gun or just go with the Nikon scope that comes on the 11/116 Hunter. Not a great one but decent hunting scope.

Decide what you want to do with the 12BVSS.

J.Baker
12-26-2016, 05:56 PM
I would have to agree with RC20 (did I just say that? LOL) and say the chassis will weight as much if not more than the BVSS laminate stock so you won't lose any weight there. The BVSS's come with 26" heavy barrels, so that's the bulk of your weight. You could turn it down and/or have it shortened to 20", but for what you'd have in the gunsmithing fee's you could probably buy a new Axis.

For that reason I would second leaving the BVSS alone and keep it for bench shooting and just get a second rifle for hunting. For the cost of the chassis and accessories you could buy an Axis rifle and a scope, or a Trophy Hunter package rifle. Better to have two purpose dedicated rifles than one rifle that's a compromise between two different disciplines that doesn't do either very well.

Zero333
12-27-2016, 01:28 PM
What the fellas above said...

Even if you could find a stock that weights nothing, this would make for a very unbalanced rifle. The barrel is the problem, not the stock.

And above all, a chassis is a crapshoot to hunt with, unless you're sniping.

I hunt with 8 to 9 lb rifles and target shoot with 16 to 19 pounders.... for a reason.

ninner
12-27-2016, 02:03 PM
You could just get a 308 take off sporster barrel and a barrel nut wrench, swap the barrel when your ready to hunt and you would be good to go other than re sighting.
Take off Barrel $50 ish
Wrench kit $35
Go gauge $50
Rubber Mallet $10

You would probably need at least a Big vice for the initial take down.
Unless your going to start building rifles I'd just go with MrFurious's advise and buy an Axis, I'd look for a used one though.