PDA

View Full Version : savage 116 in 300 rum

bearfighter
12-22-2016, 10:23 PM
anybody have one of these looking for a review thanks in advance

Rick_W
12-23-2016, 09:49 AM
:welcome:
I have an old flat-back 116 in 7mm RUM - what info/review are you looking for?

big honkin jeep
12-23-2016, 01:50 PM
Yep I have a lefty. It turns whitetails into purple mush at 250 yards with a 180Gr sirocco bonded. It produces energy at 400 yards roughly equivalent to a 30-06 at the muzzle.
I sat down and benched 2 boxes of ammo years ago with the brake on and an additional recoil pad. It didn't bruise me or make me sore at the time but the next day I was having chest pains. I went to the doctor at my wifes insistence not even thinking about the previous days entertainment. They ran a bunch of very expensive tests including x rays. The x rays came back showing I had separated my ribs from my sternum. Yep wont be benching any more than necessary to check zero after that one. The rifle has been in the back of my safe for several years now but I do have some managed recoil and some carefully reduced hand loads using data from one of the ballisticians at Ramshot powders. The .300RUM is a beast plain and simple. Due to game animals blown to smithereens by the original loading Remington now produces ammo in 3 power levels. A full loading for really big game (t rex and such). A loading equal to the .300 win mag for elk sized creatures and a loading equal to the 30-06 for deer.
On the plus side it will reach way way out there with authority. and mine is plenty accurate. Also just FYI the older USA made Burris 4.5-14 fullfield 2 I've had on it since new has a ballistic plex reticle that matches up almost perfectly to the trajectory of the 180gr load to 600 yards just range point and shoot.
It's a well made rifle just like my other 116s, just in a beast of a caliber that I haven't fired in years.

If the one you're looking at is an original .300RUM and not a rebarreled standard long action, they are highly desirable to those wanting to do a .338 edge build because the extra long mag cutout that is on this model will let it function as a repeater, unlike a standard long or magnum action.

bearfighter
12-23-2016, 01:56 PM
I also shoot a 338lm in a savage 111 hunter and a 300 wm in a savage 111 was just wondering if the older savages are as good as the newer ones

big honkin jeep
12-23-2016, 05:27 PM
Older flat backs are a piece of cake with a little knowledge and easily my favorite project rifles.
I have one in particular, an 116FLCSAK (was the maxed out deer rifle when I bought it in 96 before being discontinued as a factory offering) in 30-06 that is stunningly accurate and has put a best 10 shot group into .446 with Sierra Game Kings and IMR 4350. It always turns heads at the range. It shoots the lights out just like it came out of the box except I lightened the trigger a little.
Plenty of easy, economical do it yourself upgrades to be made to the old flatbacks if you like projects including tuning up the 3 screw triggers ( a crisp 2# is easy), bedding the stock (epoxy from the hardware store), adding a bolt lift kit ( a piece of .38spcl brass and a small ball bearing), are a couple that immediately come to mind.
The accustocks are an improvement over the old "tupperware" stocks as far as rigidity but the older "tupperware" stocks are quite serviceable. The only "flex" (which seemed to be the biggest complaint about the older factory synthetics) that I have ever noticed was on a heavy long barreled 110FP when using a bi pod on the front stud. In my opinion that particular stock due to the heft of that rifle was just a little bit too small of a barrel channel and not quite enough stiffness to support all that weight.
I actually like the older "dual pillar bedded" factory stocks for shorter barreled rigs and sporter barreled rigs because of their light weight, durability and and their weather resistance. They are also pretty easy to improve in functionality and appearance.
Good luck.