PDA

View Full Version : Short pull stock for small kid

Smokestick
12-22-2016, 01:34 PM
Do any of you know of an affordable stock that I can adjust the length on for my small stator kids, even youth stocks are to big. They want to be involved and enjoy shooting like I do but are frustrated not being able to see threw sights properly and taking recoil from an I'll fitting stock so I am looking for an adjustable stock that can grow with them any help would be great thanks to all

big honkin jeep
12-22-2016, 07:40 PM
On the model 10s or 110 based rifles the synthetics are easy enough to cut down. It was a little project but I cut a stock off of a model 11 down to 12" pull easy enough. I just had to reshape the recoil pad ( a file will work but belt sander sure makes it easier) to get a smooth transition but no big deal. If you go so short that the little tabs the screws go into get cut away just re build them with some JB weld epoxy and use some shoe polish on the screws so they'll release after the epoxy sets up.
The axis have a different stock that makes cutting them down a challenge if not near impossible.

ninner
12-22-2016, 09:21 PM
As stated above, We have always just cut them down. I prefer wood though so it can be put back on later with some glue and pocket screws (this is just a thought, I've never done it, Guns usually gets handed down when next in line is ready for a bigger setup. I guess not everyone has 6 boys in the house though.) A slip on recoil pad will simplify things a lot.

FW Conch
12-23-2016, 09:53 AM
JMO, what You are seeking does not really exist. As suggested above, just go with a factory Tupperware, figure how much to cut off, and put a slip on pad on it. Encourage the young shooter to only shoot to the limits of his competent range. And use reduced load ammo, or reload the equivalent. Cherish these moments, because before You know it, He will be ready to move up. ;-))

Edit: If a scope is used with short length of pull, make sure the scope is mounted far enough forward to prevent scope bite.

ninner
12-23-2016, 11:16 AM
JMO, what You are seeking does not really exist. As suggested above, just go with a factory Tupperware, figure how much to cut off, and put a slip on pad on it. Encourage the young shooter to only shoot to the limits of his competent range. And use reduced load ammo, or reload the equivalent. Cherish these moments, because before You know it, He will be ready to move up. ;-))

Edit: If a scope is used with short length of pull, make sure the scope is mounted far enough forward to prevent scope bite.

The biggest thing with kids and scopes is making sure they see the full picture inside the scope. My rule is the same as my fathers they learn open and peep sights first though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk