PDA

View Full Version : Quiet muzzle device for 10 FCP-SR?

tcoz
12-22-2016, 09:20 AM
As you can see, I'm pretty new around here and I'd like to ask for some recommendations.

I just ordered a 10 FCP-SR and it's my first .308 rifle. I'm a long time handloader and really want to work up a great cartridge for it. The problem is that my range is an hour away so testing isn't just a matter of walking out the back door or driving a few minutes. The indoor range that I frequent is less than five minutes and they allow .308 so that's where I'll do most of my preliminary load testing.
My question is whether anybody can recommend a muzzle device that will cut the noise level down to a reasonable level for other shooters around me, but has little to no effect on POI. Please don't say a suppressor as I know that's the answer and it's in my future but time and finances don't allow it at this moment. Flash hider, comp, brake, whatever. Ideally, I'd like to get it as close to .223/5.56 levels as possible. I had a K31 (7.5x55) that I used to shoot there but I always felt bad for the people around me when I was shooting it. There are so many new shooters now that I don't want to scare them away by blowing out their eardrums. I'm not concerned about myself as I'll double up on ear pro but I'm sure that few if any other people do that.

Any suggestions you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Rick_W
12-22-2016, 04:34 PM
The only muzzle device that is going to reduce the noise signature of a firearm is a suppressor.

Any device other than a suppressor is going to increase the noise level to the sides/rear as the baffles are going to redirect the noise from coming straight out of the barrel in those directions. Different muzzle devices will vary depending on the size/shape of the baffles/holes.

If you can't afford a suppressor, the only way to really reduce recoil and (possibly) noise is with reduced loads or different powders.

tallwalker
12-22-2016, 06:05 PM
I don't shoot rifles indoor ranges much, but even when I go to shoot pistol I always carry a couple of extra muffs in my bag and offer to lend them to close shooters. Most of the time they are wearing just plugs. That way I have been polite, generous, and well mannered. If they refuse I feel no guilt for the consequences. They know where they are and what the consequences might be.

tcoz
12-23-2016, 06:15 AM
I probably misstated my original question somewhat. I know that a suppressor is the only thing that will reDuce the sound signature but what about redirecting it? I've seen the linear compensators that direct the blast forward. Would those have a noticeable effect?

tallwalker, that's a good idea. Everybody wears muffs but I'm sure that few are also wearing plugs. I always have some in my range bag so I'll offer them to nearby shooters.

Wide Glide
12-23-2016, 08:00 AM
Pretty sure you will find all brakes are going to be loud as he'll to you and the people beside you. If they aren't then they can't be doing their job well. If your shooting short distancesale and dont need it why not just replace it with a thread protector? Send the noise down range. Guaranteed it won't seem nearly as loud behind and beside with the thread protector.

tcoz
12-23-2016, 08:51 AM
The 10 FCP-SR that I ordered does have a thread protector and doesn't come with a muzzle device of any kind so it sounds like I'm better off just leaving it as is.

Wide Glide
12-23-2016, 04:29 PM
I would. I think brakes,flash hikers, compensators look awesome but there ore only a few reasons to use one IMHO and beyond those they tend to be more of a pain than they are worth.

Brake for recoil
Brake for LR bullet trace spotting
Compensator for staying in target for rapid semi fire.
Well I guess clearing some of the crowd at the range too. I know I wasn't a popular guy when I took the .338 lapua to the 100yd range to zero when I first got it and put a scope on. Went from 30 shooters to about 8 after 6 shots

NicfromAlabama
12-24-2016, 02:00 AM
I have a .308 10FP-SR with 24" barrel. I can only imagine what it would sound like in an enclosed space. Outdoors, it is not really that bad, because the 24" muzzle is far out in front. I doubt you will be very popular at the indoor range. Like the other guys said, the only thing that you can add to the rifle that will help will be a suppressor, so start saving and maybe the Hearing Protection Act will be passed by the time you are ready to purchase one. I have a Specwar suppressor I have used on mine. I have the muzzle brake quick attach mount on my rifle that the suppressor screws onto. However, it does nothing for the sound. As already stated, it actually will deflect the blast to the side when the suppressor is not attached. So, yeah, you will better off with just the plain muzzle with thread protector on it for now.

Also, something that might indirectly help you when suppressor shopping in the future..............I was not overly thrilled with the accuracy of my suppressor on my 10FP-SR. The quick detach mount is just not secure enough to allow for the best grouping. For that reason, I have since purchased a direct thread model, which I hope resolves that issue. I'm on about month 5 for the wait, so hopefully I will be approved early next year.

tcoz
12-24-2016, 06:00 AM
Thanks everybody for your input. You've answered my question and it's obvious that a suppressor is the only way to effectively cut the sound level down. I'm only going to be shooting indoors during load testing so I'll offer the other shooters earplugs and not worry too much about it. I've been in there plenty of times when other guys are shooting their 16" barreled AR10s and they don't seem too concerned about other shooters. It's a gun range and gun ranges are loud.

Nic, thanks for the tip about QD vs direct connect suppressors. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

jbjh
12-24-2016, 01:18 PM
OP, you might try a linear compensator. It won't reduce the sound, but will direct it more downrange and away from the shooting line. As far as changing POI, I can't say (each rifle is its own beast).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk