PDA

View Full Version : New hunting rifle

Pages : 1 [2]

WV1951
12-22-2016, 11:15 AM
The above link will get you to current rebates. It normally changes after the first of the year and might be a different variety. You can google savage rebate and should easily find what has been offered in the past.

yobuck
12-23-2016, 10:57 AM
Too bad you live so far away, but I would make a call to the Grice gun shop in Clearfield PA. They will have just about every model from every maker on display for you to hold in your hands, especially the more popular ones. They are the largest gun retailer in the state, and they also wholesale to other dealers.
Call and ask to be sent a copy of their latest flyer which is actually like a newspaper containing all the guns and prices. Including the combo models from all the various makers. They will also no doubt have a 100 or more used guns of various makes and description. If you chose to actually visit there, you could also combine a scenic tour to see some elk, and drive thru lots of rugged mountainous terrain you might not realize exists in the east.

gbflyer
12-23-2016, 12:36 PM
There's a Mossberg packaged with a Vortex scope out there somewhere. Cousin bought one for his Grandson. Really a nice setup and very accurate. I would be all over one of those.

wicat3
12-23-2016, 06:25 PM
The mossberg patriot. I've heard a few people say that but I've always placed them with the axis. I love there shotguns but I'm not sure on their rifles. They seem like an axis and if I was going to go that route I could just get an axis. I do like the vortex as I hear many good things about them but I can get the ruger American with the same vortex scope so I could go that route and very strong following with the ruger American.

Model16LWH
01-22-2017, 03:39 PM
One of the best hunting rifles you can get for under $400 would be the Ruger American. My first deer rifle was a Ruger American in 7mm-08 and I loved it. The American is a perfect entry-level priced hunting rifle, especially because of what you actually get. It's not just a cheap starter rifle, it's a really good rifle at a great price. It's very lightweight, super accurate because of the free-floating barrel, has a three lug bolt, 70° bolt throw which is great, it has a good enough trigger which is similar to the savage Accu trigger and it's rugged enough to stand up to weather because of the nice corrosion resistant coating

taylorce1
01-24-2017, 12:51 AM
Get yourself a model 11 package in 243Win. and be done with it until you feel the urge to upgrade. 243 ammo is every where and is an easy recoiling rifle for your son to learn on.

Best suggestion so far fits perfectly within the OP's budget for rifle and optics, easy cartridge for a kid to learn with as well.

EC76
04-26-2017, 07:40 AM
Hello Guys,
Last year I purchase my first bolt action rifle, an Axis 93R17, wood stock, heavy barrel, great rifle I cannot be happier with it.
Now I will like to move to a higher caliber (223) and I am not sure if I should go with the NEW Axis or the 10/100 TROPHY HUNTER.
I only use the rifle for target shooting; my outdoor range only goes up to 150 yards