PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Bolt Release to Top Bolt Release Mod Done

RC20
12-19-2016, 11:15 AM
Firstly this is a do it at your own risk, I do not advocate it nor suggest it, just what I found (that should cover the legalese part)

I picked up one the 116s at a Cabella Sale for a test chassis. My definition of that is the 3 spare barrels I have (sort of) and maybe another one down the road.

Unfortunately it has the bottom bolt release (had). Pretty cheap plastic stuff down there and the trigger guard was cracked when I got it (didn't care, its been replaced with an after market as the Bottom Release Trigger and the stock I got do not match anyway)

While this is an opinion and not a fact, I feel the solid bottom stocks give more rigidity (they might and it might not make any deferens) so the goal was to get a solid bottom (blind magazine) stock, plug it with a wood block and see if I could get the top bolt release to work.

I got a Boyds stock in top bolt release style with a blind magazine.

With a great deal of "buyer be ware" yes it can.

I bent mine and used no heat. Heat may be better, I am more try as low a level force that does no harm. I may experiment with the bottom release sear and see how heat works with it. I could also be wrong, heat may make it go better and less force and no harm, just my take.

It is extremely strong steel as you would expect, while it may be slam dunk obvious to the metal guys, I thought the sear part might be heat treated and the rest not. It feels like the whole thing is heat treated and does not bend readily.

Also hard to get leverage on the part you need to bend.

The key is the pin only goes through the first two sets of holes in the sear and bending the outer part with the bolt release lever on it does not
affect that as its past the pin hole that needs to line up.

At quitting point last night its still dragging the edge of the receiver a bit, full bolt cycle resets trigger fine, opening bolt and closing is more iffy.

I am going to work on it a bit more. With it installed I think I can get the leverage to bend it out a bit more.

I got the sear from Savage, they wanted an SN and I used the SN from one of my top bolt release guns.

I don't know what they would do if you just ordered it by PN with no gun to pin it to. Seemed the easiest and worked.

Zero333
12-19-2016, 06:49 PM
Kool...

I changed one from bottom release to top and when I tried to bend it it broke. I welded it back together and it's perfect. Heat treated metals weld nicely.

dfrosch
12-19-2016, 07:32 PM
Kool...

I changed one from bottom release to top and when I tried to bend it it broke. I welded it back together and it's perfect. Heat treated metals weld nicely.

If you weld on heat treated metal without proper post weld heat treatment, you will change the properties. Most likely, it will cool too slow and become softer. This will make it susceptible to wear or plastic deformation. Cooling it too fast will make it brittle and prone to more breakage. Neither scenario would be wise or healthy. Especially since you can buy the part from Savage.

Wide Glide
12-19-2016, 07:44 PM
CDI did mine for like $65. They did an awesome job and we're great to deal with. Very hard to tell the converted action from my factory top bolt release actions.

RC20
12-19-2016, 08:13 PM
CDI is?

If they modify them that sounds like a far better solution.

If you weld on heat treated metal without proper post weld heat treatment, you will change the properties. Most likely, it will cool too slow and become softer. This will make it susceptible to wear or plastic deformation. Cooling it too fast will make it brittle and prone to more breakage. Neither scenario would be wise or healthy. Especially since you can buy the part from Savage.

I can track that but if you want the top bolt release, the only way to get it to work on a bottom is to bend it, heat and bend it, break it and weld it.

RC20
12-19-2016, 08:14 PM
Kool...

How in the world do you weld something that small?

Glad I did as little as I did.

Any thoughts on heating it and then bending?

Wide Glide
12-19-2016, 08:36 PM
CDI is?

If they modify them that sounds like a far better solution. .

CDI precision Gunworks (http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com)

They actually mill the side of the receiver the same way the TBR ones were then use dark bluing that blended very well and used savage OEM parts. No bending, heating, welding. I wouldn't hesitate to have them do another.

Robinhood
12-19-2016, 09:35 PM
How in the world do you weld something that small?

Again, TIG Welding.

ninner
12-19-2016, 10:44 PM
So if I mill my receiver I wont have to bend the piece? I need to pull one of each apart and get a visual.

Wide Glide
12-20-2016, 01:53 AM
Yea if you make room for it you won't have to. I don't have the ability

Zero333
12-20-2016, 09:44 AM
If you're afraid doing a tiny weld on a small metal tab, then don't do it. I'll do it again in a heartbeat.
:p

RC20
12-20-2016, 01:14 PM
I don't have the equipment, the TIG ability to do that kind of fine work is brand new to me.

I could do the cut work on the receiver, I have enough grinding equipment and files to do that.

Between what CDI charges and the shipping we are into $100-110. Legal wise maybe shifts responsible to them (I know, its not a real issue but that has to be a consideration )

Be nice if someone came out with a production mod for these.

Next step is to get some heat on the old one and see if it assists the bending process to where breaking it is not an issue.

Zero333
12-20-2016, 06:59 PM
Yea I hear ya. If I had a mill I might consider going that route. I really hate the bottom bolt release, and I'm sure everyone else does too.

This week I have to convert my brothers left hand receiver to top bolt release. I'll try not to brake it when bending the lever.

RC20
12-20-2016, 08:00 PM
Yea I hear ya. If I had a mill I might consider going that route. I really hate the bottom bolt release, and I'm sure everyone else does too.

This week I have to convert my brothers left hand receiver to top bolt release. I'll try not to brake it when bending the lever.

Break? (or brake) don't stop, I don't get to do that often........

Well you are set to correct, always like having a good fallback.

I don't know you would need a milling machine though it would be nice (and in bulk like CDI of course)

I think I could do it with the grinder and then clean up with a file and then sand down to a finer finish.

Still chewing.