PDA

View Full Version : Looking to change up my 7mm08 Savage 11

Grizzly7mm
12-19-2016, 11:06 AM
Hello

I have a 7mm08 Savage 11. It's fromy the mid to late 90s. It was a hunting rifle all its life

The stock is worn, but the action is nice and smooth. I'm looking at possibly getting a new stock for it. A few questions first though, even though I'll probably need to getore info on my rifle to get solid answers.

Pretty much what I want to do, if possible, is change it to 308, convert to detachable box mag, and get a Boyd's thumbhole stock for it.

What would need to be done to make this happen? Obviously a Boyd's stock, but I see there is CDI precision trigger guards that allow detachable mags. Do these work well, and with the Boyd's stock?

Also to change caliber, it's just a barrel change, correct? What would I need to do that, besides the barrel of course?

The reasoning behind why I want to make these changes is simple. The stock now is a pretty plain wood stock. Sure it has the checkering, but otherwise it's just plain. And it's got its share of wear from years in the woods. I could refinish it, but it's the typical stock.

The change in caliber is because 7mm08 has dried up around here. You would swear with ammo around here we only ever had 308, 270 amd 30-06.

The reason to convert to detachable mags is more of a question of why not. At that point i wpuld have changed the stock and caliber, and since I do more 100 yard bench shooting than anything else, having detachable mags already loaded would be nice. I can (and usually do) load my mags up while watching TV or something the day or so before I go to shoot. So it would just be a nice convenience for me

Haiku_Rodney
12-19-2016, 02:26 PM
Interesting situation. I love my 7-08. I started my reloading because I could not get any factory ammo locally. The handloads also really tightened up groups. If you can get the components, have you considered reloading?

Grizzly7mm
12-19-2016, 02:53 PM
I have thought of reloading. I'd like to, but I don't really have the time. Changing to 308 is a 50/50 maybe. I would like the availability of ammo and heavier bullets, but there is something about the 7mm08. I really do like the round, just not available at all locally, and I usually plan a day or two ahead when i go shooting, pretty much when I go buy ammo.

I for sure want a new stock, at the very least, and I might as well change to a detachable mag when I do that as well. I want to assume that the mags for the CDI system would also work for 7mm08, as it's just a 308 necked down, but I'm not 100% sure

jpdown
12-19-2016, 02:56 PM
If it's from the late 90's, then it is going to be a Savage SA staggerfeed (magazine box attached to action when stock removed). I don't believe there is a aftermarket DBM stock/bottom metal setup available. You can get a Boyd's SA, SF, thumbhole stock with blind magazine. Plenty of .308 barrel choices. Best bet is to become a site member ($15) and get access to the classified section. Also look at the articles on tuning the old Savage 3-screw trigger if it does not have an Accutrigger. An SSS single shot ramp might be nice for bench shooting. Remove for hunting season.

If you just want to make a change to an older walnut stock, then refinishing it will bring out the beauty of the walnut grain under the "cookie cutter" factory finish. If it is an old hardwood stock, I would strip it and paint it with a Duracoat base coat and sponge on camo colors or spray on Krylon webbing. All nice winter projects.

dfrosch
12-19-2016, 03:16 PM
Call CDI. Looks like they have some options for staggered feed Savages.

http://cdiprecisiongunworks.com/savage---stevens-200-rifle--faq.html

Grizzly7mm
12-19-2016, 04:54 PM
It's just a hardwood stock, not walnut, or I'd for sure be refinishing it. I really like the looks of the Boyd's thumbhole, I'd probably go with that.

I will have to get in contact with CDI, I wonder if I could send them the rifle and the stock if they would swap it over to the new stock when they do the workfor the detachable box mags. I mean, they already would have to take it out of its current stock to do it and then have to cut a hole in it, or they could advise me what stock would be easiest for them to drop my rifle in...

I know own the serial number starts with an F7, that's all I can remember off the top of my head. I tried to get a date from savage, but thathe part of their website doesn't work (says it's down for maintenance) and I emailed their customer support about it, but being something not at all urgent, they have yet to respond.

Grizzly7mm
12-19-2016, 04:58 PM
I have a 2 day weekend coming, I'm probably gonna tear it apart and clean it, nice and deep like, so I can get more info on it then.

If I do keep it 7mm-08, I'd probably still swap out the barrel to something longer. maybe a 26" length, and thicker if I can find it. I think my first step would be to get the stock after getting in contact with CDI and see what they say. It's not really a matter of how much it costs, their kits seem like a very reasonable price, but it's buying all the parts all up front kind of thing. My fiancée would kill me dropping the kind of money I want to spend on it all at once. but a little here and there I can get away with

WV1951
12-20-2016, 10:13 PM
There is no doubt 308 is much easier to find and as a bonus, less expensive. However, there is plenty available on line, and if you are patient, you can catch free shipping with a minimal amount.

ninner
12-20-2016, 11:42 PM
I just installed a model 12 heavy barrel 308 on an axis receiver and could not be happier, one ragged hole 3 shot group @100 with factory Remington 150 grain. I had it in a sled so it was all gun.

Grizzly7mm
12-23-2016, 03:03 AM
Well, I just got the A17 as a Christmas present from my dad, so I think a new stock and scope for the 7mm08 is all I'm gonna do, maybe a bipod too. Still go Boyd's, but go with a classic shaped instead of a thumbhole. I'll grab one of those for the A17 :P

308 is still on the back burner, but I might also get into reloading for it. AND I've found ammo on line at a decent price, so I might just have to keep some on hand, amd be sure to reorder whatever I shoot off

cowboybart
12-23-2016, 10:49 AM
If you have an abundance of 7-08 brass - I would be interested in that. I'm putting together a 7-08 on a Mauser action and my only choice now is necking up 243 brass.