PDA

View Full Version : Using FC 223 REM leads to stuck bolt on AXIS ?

Axis223Shooter
12-18-2016, 12:29 PM
While zeroing the newly purchased Savage AXIS XP 223, when I shot 4 rounds of factory ammo (?) with head stamp of FC 223 REM with blue seal around the primers ( Federal ammo? - see here (http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=headstampcodes#FC)for the possible makers ), I found that for all 4 rounds were VERY hard to chamber and even harder to pull them out . I had to use a rubber mallet on the bolt handle. :o The ammo shoots fine on my AR15.

Has anyone had a similar experience ?

This was the only ammo that wasn't friendly with the Axis. I think I tried Wolf Gold, PMX, Federal American Eagle, and Remington UMC without any issues. Unfortunately, this FC 223 REM stamped ammo wasn't given to me in a new box but in a Glad plastic ware - from a friend - and he said they were new factory ammo but didn't remember from which manufacturer.

jpx2rk
12-19-2016, 07:13 AM
The sealant around the primers indicates "it could/might" be 5.56 ammo which you're not supposed to shoot in a 223. If you've got more of this ammo, I would not shoot it until you know for sure whether it's 223 or 5.56. The primer sealant is not a 100% indicator it's 5.56, but an indicator. Different makers put their ammo together different and call it different things.

Is there any type of sealant around the bullet/neck area? Indications of a crimp on the bullet/neck area?

Robinhood
12-19-2016, 11:05 AM
What is the bullet weight?

pisgah
12-19-2016, 05:43 PM
This may sound like a silly question, but -- did you by any chance clean the bore before shooting this ammo? If so, did you inspect to be sure the chamber was free of any bits and pieces, like a piece of cleaning patch, or a wire that broke off of a brush? I ask because twice in the past two weeks I have had friends complain of the same problem, only to find, when I asked, that one of those things had happened to each of them, creating exactly the symptoms you note. Probably pure coincidence, but it never hurts to check...

Axis223Shooter
12-19-2016, 08:35 PM
did you by any chance clean the bore before shooting this ammo?
Yes. cleaned. All other ammo brands were chambering and ejecting fine.

What is the bullet weight?
Sorry. don't know. I can't tell from the stamped letters. The stamped letters on the casing were: FC 16 223 REM.

The sealant around the primers indicates "it could/might" be 5.56 ammo which you're not supposed to shoot in a 223. ..Is there any type of sealant around the bullet/neck area? Indications of a crimp on the bullet/neck area?
The stamp on the case was FC 223 REM. There was no sealant around the bullet, but only around the primers. I shot the rest of FC stuff in my AR15.

jpx2rk
12-20-2016, 07:28 AM
Does other ammo shoot fine in this gun?

As a general rule, you shouldn't shoot ammo in a gun if the only thing you know about the ammo is "it fits the chamber". The headstamp info will not tell you the bullet weight/load data, just who made the brass case.

Do you have any more of this ammo? Post a pic if you do.

Axis223Shooter
12-20-2016, 09:46 AM
Does other ammo shoot fine in this gun? ...Do you have any more of this ammo? Post a pic if you do...
Other ammos (Wolf Gold, Federal Eagle, Remington, PMX ) shoot fine. I don't have the ammo as I shot all of them in AR15. I did keep couple shells. I think the brass was not re-loaded as the primer still has the blue sealant. Does anyone know what brand of this ammo is? I sure won't buy these.

https://c3.staticflickr.com/1/542/31726212986_2bff9313b5_c.jpg

pisgah
12-20-2016, 10:23 AM
The blue sealant says "reload" to me. Never seen that on factory Federal .223, and if it were I doubt it'd be so sloppily applied. Additionally, it may be just the quality of the photo but the letters of the headstamp look "multiple-times-loaded" blurred.

earl39
12-21-2016, 08:57 PM
Also just a guess but I would say reloads using factory primed brass seconds. If i don't buy it in the original package I consider every thing as reloads. I am also like Mulder, the truth is out there but trust no one.

30-06shooter
12-22-2016, 12:01 AM
Doubt it's reloads. How old is the wolf ammo? Some old wolf ammo had a lacquer on them that would gum up the rifle when it got hot.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/once-fired-identification-by-primer.676651/

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569580

Axis223Shooter
12-23-2016, 04:05 PM
...How old is the wolf ammo? Some old wolf ammo had a lacquer on them...
https://c3.staticflickr.com/1/521/30987619314_32322c5294_m.jpg
It's actually newly bought Wolf Gold brass ammo. Thank you all for providing input... I will watch out for any ammo I get from "friends" that is not new in the box...

Anyway, I enjoy shooting the Axis 223 - almost no recoil - but may need to stiffen the stock around the forearm, the "wrist area", and the buttstock area (with Rockite?)...I get about 3 - 4 MOA at 100 yards now with the Wolf Gold... I am not too picky, but want something less than 2 MOA without having to reload. With my other bolt action rifle (CZ) shooting steel case 7.62x39, I get about 1.75 MOA

mag410
12-24-2016, 11:09 PM
Federal Fusion .233 Rem ammo is loaded in brass with same head stamp: FC 16 over 223 REM, white primer with blue primer sealant. The "16 " is the last two digits of the year it was manufactured 2016. I have some Fusion loaded in FC 11 and FC 16 brass.

Michael

Russ77
12-27-2016, 02:09 AM
My axis does not like some of the .223 ammo out there. Fuicci(I'm sure I spelled that wrong) ammo got stuck almost every time. I had to beat on the bolt to get it out. Wolf ammo did the same. I have shot 5.56 ammo without a problem. I'm not sure what the problem was so I just stick to what works. Mostly PMC and federal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk