PDA

View Full Version : Bolt locks up in barreled action

Aught Six
12-17-2016, 09:42 AM
Guys, please indulge a question from a relative Savage newbie:

I have my barreled action out of the stock to eventually replace the trigger and bed the stock.

I was testing the trigger pull, and after cycling the bolt and pulling the trigger, when I try to open the bolt again, it is locked in the chamber and won't move unless I press the bolt release lever. Then I can open and cycle the bolt normally.

What am I misunderstanding? I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious but darned if I can figure it out.

dfrosch
12-17-2016, 10:13 AM
Is it an accutrigger model? Did you lighten the trigger?

Kinda sounds like the sear may be getting caught on the accutrigger blade. The sear and bolt release are different areas of the same part. If set too light, the accutrigger blade may catch the sear instead of the trigger.

Aught Six
12-17-2016, 10:38 AM
No, it's not an accutrigger model.

RustyShackle
12-17-2016, 10:40 AM
Is the sear getting caught on the trigger? Not fully deploying the firing pin? Or being restricted from returning to its resting position?

dfrosch
12-17-2016, 01:16 PM
OK, we're just tossing darts. Post a pic of the trigger and sear while it in the locked condition.

RC20
12-17-2016, 01:58 PM
Make sure the pins on the trigger are in not drifted out

jpdown
12-17-2016, 04:22 PM
Check the position of the safety bar to see if it is remaining in the fire position.

toddcdozer
12-17-2016, 04:46 PM
Safety is on lol. Been there done that.

Robinhood
12-17-2016, 05:04 PM
The cocking piece pin is the only thing that effects the rotation of the bolt besides safety. The forward action screw can be driven into the bolt head chamber area and restrict rotation but depressing the bolt release does not effect that. Did you by any chance adjust the over travel screw on your trigger?

The only other thing is the safety is on and it has not been identified as the culprit.

Aught Six
12-17-2016, 10:11 PM
The sear was hanging up. After installing my new trigger and cleaning everything well, it works fine. Thanks for all the help.