PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find info on savage action pressure limits?

Randyc
12-16-2016, 12:42 PM
Looking to see what the pressure limits are for savage actions, like the 12 single shot , target, magnum, etc.
Where could I find this info?
Anyome know?

Randyc
12-16-2016, 01:09 PM
I think darker answered this in my other post , how can I delete this ?
or does it need to stay for others to read as it is explained here?

RC20
12-16-2016, 01:28 PM
Lyman's will tell you what the pressure limits are per SAMMI.

Savage is follows that, back in the day guns were actually proof tested (military still does) but then they do things like Manaflux the bolt on an AR!

Pressure signs for a given rifle Savage or not vary, and that's a whole different ball of wax and read up on all the indicators as well as using a chronograph!.

You don't want to go past the pressure signs, any single one of them.

BillPa
12-16-2016, 03:09 PM
Looking to see what the pressure limits are for savage actions, like the 12 single shot , target, magnum, etc.
Where could I find this info?
Anyome know?

Fred's (aka: Sharpshooter) post, 2010.

In 1969, the boltheads and receiver went through another change to reduce cost and incorporate the anti-bind feature. The anti-bind feature is nothing more than a fin protruding on the right lug of the baffle that rides in a corresponding groove in the receiver. At this point, the bolt heads were still made in house from solid bar stock and the new baffles were made from sintered metal, a cost saving feature.
During this time period, a few occurrences of blown up rifles came to Savage's attention by gunsmiths that acquired specimens from customers. On every gun it was determined through admission that every instance was handloader error. Savage decided to test some rifles to duplicate the scenario for data.

I was slightly erroneous when I stated that they were tested to destruction and never sheared a lug. They were pressured to the point of shearing lugs, but this was past the pressure it took to fail the receiver.

The front baffle essentially did the job it was supposed do...block gases from the shooters face. This worked well for a blown primer, but in the event of a catastophic failure, the baffle was the first thing to break. Even though it broke in half, it still remained in place, but in the process the vast amount of gas could not escape fast enough through the small vent holes and the receiver expanded and split where the anti-bind groove was.It was estimated at 90,000-100,000 psi.

To get to the point where the lugs actually sheared off, it took over twice the amount of proof pressure (150,000+ psi). At this point, lug shear was a bonus because the received had already failed.

Bill

Randyc
12-16-2016, 06:06 PM
I always start low, work up, and watch for flat primers and such. But I have had flat CCI primers before I should have ever seen pressure signs according to max load.
I think I need to just go ahead and get a copy of quickload. That I'm sure will be full of useful scenarios and info to save time and money.

thank you guys for the great info.

RC20
12-16-2016, 06:22 PM
BilPa and Sharpshooter certainly provided that.

The arena of over pressure is a complex one, worth a delve into the various indicators. Primers are not one of the good ones but always worth putting into the assessment.

Sticky bolt is one for sure. Increased case width is another.

I don't know if its relevant for sure, but it was recommended to use a shell holder as well. If it won't slide in smoothly that's another one.