PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Handle Threading Woes

celltech
12-15-2016, 10:17 AM
So I have 3 Axis XP II's in .308, .243 and .223. I never did like the small bolt handles and after seeing this site I decided to try cutting my own threads and putting on something meatier. I more or less followed the method by DrThunder although I used a dremel cut off wheel to start all the places where I wanted to use the hacksaw. And there was my first problem...make sure your saw blade is fresh! And get one with 18 tpi for working with this steel. After getting the basic square shape I used a bench grinder to round it down to a shaft I could thread. Once you start developing a system it takes no time at all to get a final shape.

One of my rifles is in stainless and that is where the real problems started. It does seem harder to cut and as I was wrenching down with my die to put on the last 1/4" of threads I hit a casting void and snapped the end off. Lucky for me there was enough nub sticking out of the die that I could grind some flats in it and use a wrench to back it out. As for the bolt handle I rounded a bit more material off and will try using JB Weld to just glue it on. I think there is enough material there to give it something to stick to. I must add that all 3 of my handles had some sort of casting flaw that showed up as I was threading them. Kinda disappointing...

I was originally just going to grind the buttons down a bit and build up some bigger knobs with epoxy putty, because even a silly metal knob is usually $30+. But I found some good looking PTG teardrops at Midway for only $9. At that price I think it makes it more worthwhile. And oh yeah, while I was at it I ground relief channels on 2 of the handles where it could scrape my scope if you pull up hard enough.

In all, it's a fun exercise and a great way to spend a few hours in the garage during this cold weather.

WV1951
12-16-2016, 08:47 PM
Stainless is a different animal than regular carbon steel.

geargrinder
12-16-2016, 09:16 PM
You might be better off cutting it flush and then drilling and tapping a new stud for the knob to thread on to.

Here's a picture from Long Rifles Inc. that shows the concept.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1107/4052/files/DSC0553_large.JPG?302868850688433974