PDA

View Full Version : New FP10 308 & Nikon

gunz
09-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Hello all,

My first Savage will be in my hands real soon. No better feeling than a new rifle on its way!! ;D I decided on the FP10 accutrigger in 308 and have a Nikon 4-12X50 "Buckmasters" 6445 that I will be putting on top. After much research and study I am undecided on mount and rings.

I see many experienced shooters on the forum and would like to ask a few, simple?, questions.

What would you recommended:

1) 1 piece or two?

2) Height to accommodate the 50mm objective?

3) Brand preference?

4) Dealer?

5) Any other considerations not yet addressed.

Thanks in advance!

Michael

ThorBird
09-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Hey gunz, good choice on rifle and cartridge.

I like one piece bases, like a Farrell, , Badger, EGW to name 3 off the top of my head. The first 2 are steel, the EGW aluminum. I like the added rigidity and the piacatinny versatility. The .308 can really benefit from a 10 MOA or more built in adjustment if you want to go out past 600 yards.

The Burris Zee rings are handy, especially with the .308 and longer distance to gain elevation. Not sure of the internal adjustment on that Nikon, but if you run out of up, you can use the insert sets in the rings to get you out further. Burris makes tactical rings that are nice, badger make them, and many others.

I use MidwayUSA as a guide on price, but unless you order quite a bit, their high ship charges add up. Fast delivery though. There is Midsouth, Lock, Stock, and Barrel. Enter a product in google and see what comes up.

Good luck and I hope that helps a little. Post here how it shoots. If you reload, take a look at RL15 about 42 grains.

rjtfroggy
09-26-2009, 07:38 AM
GUNZ,I have a couple of these in different cals. and use the Burris extreme tactical mounts and rings. I like the rings because each one has 6 screws holding the scope down. As for height I would say "high" but if you go to the burris site they have a chart.
I have found that SWFA has about the best prices on all mounts and rings with opticsplanet running pretty close.
Good luck.

pdog06
09-26-2009, 05:26 PM
"What would you recommended:"

1) 1 piece or two?
-Like Thorbird I also like the 1pc bases, but a good set of Burris or Warne steel 2 pc bases work just as good.
The 2 pc just doesnt have as many mounting possibilities to get the right eye relief, but does give a tad more
room to load the mag.

2) Height to accommodate the 50mm objective?
- For a 50mm I would recommend "high" rings if you go with 2pc bases, and "medium" rings if you go with one
of the bases Thorbird mentioned.

3) Brand preference?
-I would definately go with the Burris Signature Zee rings either way. Bases are mentioned above.

4) Dealer?
- I also use Midway for price checks, and do buy stuff there alot. But for optic accessories I have found
Opticsplanet to be the best value. They dont charge for shipping so that saves you $10 right there.

5) Any other considerations not yet addressed.
- cant think of any.

ThorBird
09-26-2009, 06:46 PM
+1 on the Warne products, I forgot about them and really like their products.