PDA

View Full Version : Scope base screws

zeke_752
12-14-2016, 04:32 PM
Has anyone ever installed bigger scope base screws on a savage? Going from m6 to m8? I know it is a common upgrade on a Remington tactical build. Just wondering if it would be worth the hassle. I'm thinking about building my 300 WSM. It already has a 30 MOA base on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkker
12-14-2016, 05:20 PM
Has anyone ever installed bigger scope base screws on a savage? Going from m6 to m8? Just wondering if it would be worth the hassle. k I have not. "Worth it" is up to you. Most people I know who make their, typically M700, into a 100% authentic super Army Marine Corp sniper unit built by god himself; don't do it to "fix" any issue, it's just about keeping up with the Jones'. If it makes you happy, by all means you should do it!! If you are worried about the bases shearing off, I'd dearly LOVE to hear from someone outside of any war zone who has actually had that happen. I am not kind to my rifles, and it's never been a problem for me. $0.02

LHitchcox
12-14-2016, 06:58 PM
The only people that I know who have done this had buggered screw holes and went up to the next size out of necessity. I have heard of guys who had heavy kicking rifles in safari type calibers who did this to keep the screws from shearing, but I think you would have to go up beyond the .300 WSM for that to be necessary.

zeke_752
12-14-2016, 07:00 PM
I kinda figured it was not necessary I just was wondering if anyone has done it or thought it was a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk