PDA

View Full Version : Conservative Data in Load Manuals

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

bigedp51
12-23-2016, 12:21 AM
There it is....

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161223/1005a6078c8955281cb7718d06e54b82.jpg

What did you rub on the colored circles to make the bugs chew holes in the paper.

Or were the holes from you proof testing your rifle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/Yimmy/Yimmy1/Pic1.jpg

darkker
12-23-2016, 01:33 AM
As long as you are talking similar construction (not plated Vs. traditional jackets), bearing surface is very largely overplayed. Yes it's different, but it isn't magically anything.

As I've already posted when debunking the "mythical" BS surrounding the FlatLine bullets. We were told that due to the super-awesome angel poop they are cut from(and low bearing surface), you can push them faster without additional pressure.
Same cases, same powder bottle, same primers, same load, same jump to lands gives you??? Correct, the same pressure!!!
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j84/Darkker13/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-09-08-18-59-03_zpst4w0ukh1.png
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j84/Darkker13/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-09-08-19-00-14_zps3pazhbys.png

Without pressure equipment, a chronograph is the next very close and accurate reporter of pressure. Hodgdon has done a good job selling surplus to the waste market (us). But if you think intimate knowledge of powder, or even great testing ability is in their wheelhouse, you've been listening to their marketing branch for far too long. They outsource much of "their" pressure testing, and continue to use CUP, when it had very long been known to be inaccurate to the tune of 20,000 psi. They flat-out lie on a few marketing bits of "info" about the powders they resell.
This isn't to say that they are seeking the sun to never rise again. But know them for what they are, and not what they aren't. They resell surplussed powder, and at times buy toll milling time from defense contractors; and sell to a disposal market. The "Technology developed for the US military" was actually developed by the French, for the French around 1900. You can read about adding tin and bismuth in powder, in Hatcher's notebook. As far as I'm concerned, CFE223 was a bad deal as all the surplus 842 i'd been buying & shooting for years for $8/# was bought-up.
Lots vary because Hodgdon doesn't make anything, and bus what they can, from anyone who's cheap. IMR4064 has long been coming out of General Dynamics plant in Quebec. Late this fall, the 1# bottles had actually been purchased from Rhinemetal. Is the powder "the same"? Of course not, but it is very similar.

LongRange
12-23-2016, 09:20 AM
What did you rub on the colored circles to make the bugs chew holes in the paper.

Or were the holes from you proof testing your rifle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/Yimmy/Yimmy1/Pic1.jpg

im not sure what you mean with your comments or the picture of the blown up barrel Ed but i can tell you that rifles DO NOT blow up like that unless you have done something seriously wrong or you had a faulty barrel or action to began with...and i know this for a fact....ive loaded a 260 rem and a 300 win mag at 17% over book maxes and im still here...the brass was not real happy but both rifles survived just fine.

BillPa
12-23-2016, 11:02 AM
im not sure what you mean with your comments or the picture of the blown up barrel
It had nothing to due with the load as such but when it was fired.

Today, Saturday 30 September, there was a non-injury mishap on the
lower range. A customer, sighting-in his hunting rifle, forgot to
remove the boresighter before firing a live round.

As Paul Harvey would have said, "The rest of the story".
Bill

LongRange
12-23-2016, 11:17 AM
It had nothing to due with the load as such but when it was fired.

As Paul Harvey would have said, "The rest of the story".
Bill

Exactly!!

I don't think or recommend ppl do what I do but at the same time going to or a little over book maxes is not going to blow an action or barrel up.

Is going to or a little over book maxes over book pressures?
Sure darkker and MZ5 have the equipment that proves that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FW Conch
12-23-2016, 02:27 PM
Sort of the same as trying push a 308 pill down a 270 bore. Except the damage in that incident was further back. Wonder what a pressure trace would have shown on that one?

LongRange
12-23-2016, 02:52 PM
what was the end result FW? was the action and or barrel blown up?

bigedp51
12-23-2016, 03:12 PM
im not sure what you mean with your comments or the picture of the blown up barrel Ed but i can tell you that rifles DO NOT blow up like that unless you have done something seriously wrong or you had a faulty barrel or action to began with...and i know this for a fact....ive loaded a 260 rem and a 300 win mag at 17% over book maxes and im still here...the brass was not real happy but both rifles survived just fine.

I apologizes if it offended you, it was meant as humor to go along with your 12 foot drop tube and "other" posters saying you could still get more powder in the case.

P.S. Tell that rat bastard long haired commie pinko BillPa thank you for "The Rest of the Story" and that I live in Linglestown Pa. (What would we do without Trops and Shyda's)

LongRange
12-23-2016, 03:40 PM
I apologizes if it offended you, it was meant as humor to go along with your 12 foot drop tube and "other" posters saying you could still get more powder in the case.

P.S. Tell that rat bastard long haired commie pinko BillPa thank you for "The Rest of the Story" and that I live in Linglestown Pa. (What would we do without Trops and Shyda's)

no offense taken...ive got pretty thick skin and take most of what i read on the net with a grain of salt....and i though Bill was a studly ladies man...or at least thats what he told me LOL!!

FW Conch
12-23-2016, 05:37 PM
Working from memory on this, the story was in the Remington Master Sales Catalog, I think 2008 issue. Someone managed to chamber a 308 into a 270Win Rem 700 action. When fired, the barrel was deformed or split, the stock was split, and the case head was welded to the bolt face. I think the shooter had only minor injuries to one hand. Since none of this was Remington's fault, they took the opportunity to claim that the basic action was undamaged, replaced the barrel and bolt, and put it back into service. Great testimony to the strength of the 700 action.

I am convinced that a Savage action could take at least the same amount of abuse. ;-))

LongRange
12-23-2016, 05:41 PM
Working from memory on this, the story was in the Remington Master Sales Catalog, I think 2008 issue. Someone managed to chamber a 308 into a 270Win Rem 700 action. When fired, the barrel was deformed or split, the stock was split, and the case head was welded to the bolt face. I think the shooter had only minor injuries to one hand. Since none of this was Remington's fault, they took the opportunity to claim that the basic action was undamaged, replaced the barrel and bolt, and put it back into service. Great testimony to the strength of the 700 action.

I am convinced that a Savage action could take at least the same amount of abuse. ;-))

I'm pretty sure they could to as I've abused a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk