PDA

View Full Version : Removing barrel effect ammo performance?

Wide Glide
12-14-2016, 06:54 AM
Does removing a barrel then putting it back on effect the performance of a pet load?

I've got one barrel I'd like to take off to cerekote and another I'd like to take off a different rifle long enough to try a new barrel then return to the current state . I have done extensive load development on both rifles though so I'd rather not have to start from scratch.

Should I expect to have to rework loads or pick up where I left off once I put them back on?

GaCop
12-14-2016, 08:41 AM
It shouldn't have much affect on accuracy, if any.

Mthomas90
12-14-2016, 09:55 AM
Not to steal the thread, but how would you go about getting the head space set back to as close as possible? Do you load a dummy round that's just touching the lands and then screw the barrel back on until it just contacts the bullet?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bsekf
12-14-2016, 10:39 AM
Before you remove a barrel that you plan to put back on. Make a go/no go gauge out of a fired brass and scotch tape. Make witness marks on the barrel and nut so you can line everything back up. Do not change any components, barrel nut or recoil lug. After re-install, check with gauge. Nothing should change. Load development has to do with barrel harmonics.

Bill

DanSavage
12-14-2016, 11:43 AM
What Bill said, my barrels takes same load but when put back on.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

LoneWolf
12-14-2016, 11:48 AM
I never worried too much. I did a test with one barrel head spaced with the same gauge set on 3 different actions and it shot the same load in all of them with little to no variance. Actions were a Savage M10, Shilen DGR, and the Mausingfield that I run now. No marks just head spaced by feel the way I've always done it.

RC20
12-14-2016, 11:51 AM
I don't worry about it. I have a press with me at the range anyway as I am always play with COAL, headspace is tiny movement compared to the COAL variations.

From memory like .005. I don't even try to set COAL changes any less than that.