PDA

View Full Version : going to swap barrels- do I have this right?

mattri
08-10-2010, 11:39 PM
After reading a number of posts I think I have a pretty good grasp on this but let's make sure:

Stevens .243 200 bone stock is getting a new Shilen 26" SS Varmint contour and a new stock.

Take the barreled action out of the stock and put the barrel in a vise.

Using a barrel wrench loosen and remove the barrel nut.

Thread barrel out of the action.

Apply a light coat of oil to threads of new barrel

Thread new barrel into the action, leaving it a little long.

Using a Go Gaauge set the headspace. Correctly set this should allow the bolt to close. Place a piece of Scotch tape, measured at .002, on the base of the Go Gauge, if headspace is correct the bolt will have closed on the gauge itself, but with an extra .002 added bolt will not close.

Leaving tape on Go Gauge thread barrel in and tighten barrel nut with fingers, then give it a solid rap to set it.

Re-check headspace.

If all is well go shoot.

Am I missing anything?

I plane to re-install with a new SSS recoil lug, does that affect the process any?

Any and all help appreciated.

okie2
08-10-2010, 11:50 PM
you got everythink down pat but do use wood blocks in vice to hold barrel.

possum1
08-11-2010, 12:20 AM
Just wondering, what stock are you going to use ? I'm still trying to find a load for mine, not as easy as the factory barrel ???

mattri
08-11-2010, 07:16 AM
I found a Model 12 stock that someone had for sale, nothing fancy but a step up from my 200's stock.

Nefarioud
08-11-2010, 03:34 PM

This may sound simpler than it actually is the first time

ShaneG.
08-11-2010, 04:22 PM

This may sound simpler than it actually is the first time

That's what I was afraid of when doing my first swap on a new Stevens,but I used a small deadblow and to my surprise one nice little hit and it spun loose. I thought something was wrong after reading about some other troubles.It took about ten minutes to do the swap this was last week.

This week I have had the barrel off my 12bvss about 3 times it was about the same way,also the same with the BAS came right out.

Maybe I got lucky and got guns with barrel nuts installed on a friday or something instead of monday ;D

hailstone
08-11-2010, 09:24 PM
The gorilla was out sick the day your rifle was put together.

mattri
08-11-2010, 11:43 PM
The nut has been busted on this rifle before, don't expect any trouble.

DGD6MM
08-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Git-r-done.

Wtex
08-14-2010, 06:39 AM
Was that a new 243 barrel you took off?