PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 7mm08

Dull1717
08-10-2010, 10:54 PM
I just picked up a new Stevens 200 in 7mm08 for $179+tax....for ammo, all I can find is 140 grns Winchester PowerPoints....it'll be used for whitetails in Texas only....there is a lot of talk about the 11.5 twist-rate...did I get screwed?

tammons
08-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Good deal. I would have bought it no matter what twist.

You just cant shoot bullets heavier than 140 gr.

If you want to shoot the 162 gr amax you can always sell your barrel and buy a 1:9 twist factory barrel.

Midwayusa has 7mm-08 A+B 24" barrels on sale for $118.
They are 9.5 twist and will stabilize the 162 gr amax.

DGD6MM
08-11-2010, 03:00 PM
I'll take a screwing like that anyday. Wish there was an Academy closer to me.

mikeyr68
08-11-2010, 07:52 PM
I picked up two here in San Angelo, TX. Great deal, even if only for the action!

Mike

hotbrass
08-11-2010, 09:30 PM
You cant find an action that cheap anywhere.

Bad news, my scope mounting holes are drilled off center. But they are all drilled on the same plane. When my mount comes in I will check it out.

I have already taken the rifle apart and rebuilt it with another barrel and stock. So I guess I cant send it back now. Anyone have any suggestion on how to fix this? I guess just enlarge the holes on the mount until it sits square on top then use lots of loctite.

tammons
08-11-2010, 09:33 PM
I would put it back together and send it to savage and get a replacement.

Dont think I would drill the mount.

mikeyr68
08-11-2010, 09:38 PM
I didn't think Savage had a problem with that any more? I've seen pics around here somewhere that showed their machine that drills all four holes at once. I guess it could be off center if they failed to put it in there correctly. Still worth a shot to contact Savage and see what they are willing to do. Take some pics and post here too! ;D

Mike

hotbrass
08-11-2010, 09:43 PM
I will take pics when the mount and rings get here. Its too hard to see with just the holes.

GabbyM
08-11-2010, 11:58 PM
You should of bought two at that price. one for you and one for me.

I posted in another thread about twist rate. Basically the 139 grain Hornady flat base is all the bullet a 7mm-08 needs to be pushing anyway. I agree with the Savage choice of twist rate.

GabbyM
08-12-2010, 12:36 AM
You cant find an action that cheap anywhere.

Bad news, my scope mounting holes are drilled off center. But they are all drilled on the same plane. When my mount comes in I will check it out.

I have already taken the rifle apart and rebuilt it with another barrel and stock. So I guess I cant send it back now. Anyone have any suggestion on how to fix this? I guess just enlarge the holes on the mount until it sits square on top then use lots of loctite.

Depending upon which way the mount is canted that may not be a big deal and may even fit you better.
Your scope can still be set to square with the world. When you mount the rifle in positions. Prone sitting standing. Does the mount set level in natural hold or do you need to adjust the rifle to make it stand up straight ? Match shooters use adjustable but plates to cant the rifle back up level from the shoulder. Everything gets offset. Setting the sights offset is another way to fit your rifle. But if the mount is in the wrong direction or you don't need a cant it's all a mess.

I don't know why Savage would have an issue with taking a stripped action back for repair. Would just save them the step. You didn't move the holes.

As a machinist I can tell you Locktite in opened up screw holes is not the way to go. You'd want to set the mount forwards or back then drill new holes. Locktite will not fill gaps anyway. You need an epoxy for that or even something stronger. If a scope base does not fit a receiver contour epoxy is a good fill. If you ever want to release it a heat gun will break the bond as they do with epoxy bedded bench rest actions. If your elevation is off more than a few minutes I like to shim the scope bases with shim stock and epoxy rather than adjust the scope off center. I've done round receiver rifles where I had to use .032” shim to get the scope within it's center. I'd assume the front face of the receiver was off linear thus canting the barrel off from the receiver. Burris rings with plastic offset inserts are a great little invention which will fix all that in short order. I think .025" is the largest offset. You can turn it to the side.

Thirty years ago we were used to junk. No warrantee and no phone numbers to call anyways.

mikeyr68
08-12-2010, 09:23 AM
I took a close look at both of mine last night and without putting screws or a mount in the holes, it would be hard to tell. It could also be an optical illusion. The actions on these and nearly every Stevens I have ever seen, are roughly finished. Meaning, they have machining marks that tend to look like brushed aluminum. So the light gets skewed a little and can make them look off center. Try looking at them from the rear of the rifle and then without changing position or light source, look at them from the barrel end. Make sure you gun is not loaded and the bolt is out (just in case anyone reading this needs that info). See if the holes don't appear to be centered now or are now canted to the opposite direction. Again, some time of measuring device would be best here vs just eying it. I'm happy with my two and I may sneak back for a long action version.

Mike

hotbrass
08-12-2010, 11:26 AM
I put a level on it. It is off a few degrees. I will know better when my mount and rings come in.

Also, I shoot all kinds of competitons and I have rifles with adjustable buttplates. So I can work with that if necessary. But first I have to assess the actual impact after mounting the scope.

Dull1717
08-12-2010, 04:10 PM
You should of bought two at that price. one for you and one for me.

I posted in another thread about twist rate. Basically the 139 grain Hornady flat base is all the bullet a 7mm-08 needs to be pushing anyway. I agree with the Savage choice of twist rate.

This is good news....thanks GabbyM

powderburn
08-13-2010, 07:41 AM
My buddy and I have become big stevens 200 fans. I have two (308 & 223),he has one (7mm08). His shoots very well and he has standardized on a load using the speer 145gr sp. that chronographs at about 2650 fps and shoots into about .8 inches. I don't know many deer that would last long running into that load. Another bullet that should preform well is the 139 gr hornady. I know everyone makes a big deal about the inability to handle heavy bullets but look at the legacy of the .270 that was built around the 130 gr. I don't see the 7mm08 as a heavy rifle. If you want to shoot heavy bullets then get a 280 or 7mag or better yet a 30-06. Oh yes his shoots the 154rn and the 175rn ok.