PDA

View Full Version : New to Savage and confusedgive it a rest and

Pages : [1] 2

tcoz
12-12-2016, 09:52 PM
I'm new to bolt guns and was deciding between the Ruger Gunsite Scout, the Savage Model 11 Scout and the 10 FCP-SR. I had pretty much decided on the 10 FCP-SR until I started reading all of the controversy on this forum surrounding this gun and the old vs new model with people calling the new model "junk" and telling others to sell it etc, so yesterday I decided to stop tormenting myself and buy the Ruger. That's pretty much where I stand now but I just ran across a Model 10 Precision Carbine for sale on another forum and since I can't find that model listed on the Savage website I was wondering if someone could fill me in on the difference between it and the old model 10 FCP.

The Precision Carbine doesn't have a threaded barrel and has a four round flush fit mag but everything else sounds pretty similar. It has the Accutrigger and digital camo Accustock, 20" heavy profile barrel and larger bolt handle. Is a larger mag available?
The seller wants $1100 with a Nikon Prostaff 7 (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=17383596)4-16x42 which I'm not interested in. I haven't contacted him yet but depending on the answers I receive here, I might. Would an offer of $800-900 without the scope be a fair offer or would I be insulting him?
I've bought and sold a number of guns over the years but for some reason Savage and their designations and multiple iterations of similar rifles really has me confused.
I really appreciate any help that you can provide.

drybean
12-12-2016, 09:56 PM
OK decided to do what?

RC20
12-12-2016, 09:59 PM
We await with baited breath............

tcoz
12-12-2016, 11:30 PM
I'm not sure how that happened but my entire post now appears above. I can't edit the title if the thread however.
I apologize for that.

WV1951
12-12-2016, 11:51 PM
I would think the scope is worth ~$300, depending on condition. Before you offer $900, buy the entire package and peddle the scope. Maybe I am way off on the scope value.

Zero333
12-13-2016, 01:28 AM
Check some outlets for Savage 10 models like the PC etc.. and you'll be surprised how little they can cost new. The 10 PC new goes for around $700-800 as far as I can tell. I could be wrong.

Edit:... after a quick search I see no one has a 10 PC in stock. Sorry for your loss. Good luck.

Robinhood
12-13-2016, 01:46 AM
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Model+10+Precision+Carbine

darkker
12-13-2016, 01:23 PM
I'm new to bolt guns and was deciding between the Ruger Gunsite Scout, the Savage Model 11 Scout and the 10 FCP-SR. I had pretty much decided on the 10 FCP-SR until I started reading all of the controversy on this forum surrounding this gun and the old vs new model with people calling the new model "junk" and telling others to sell it etc, so yesterday I decided to stop tormenting myself and buy the Ruger. That's pretty much where I stand now but I just ran across a Model 10 Precision Carbine for sale on another forum and since I can't find that model listed on the Savage website I was wondering if someone could fill me in on the difference between it and the old model 10 FCP.

The Precision Carbine doesn't have a threaded barrel and has a four round flush fit mag but everything else sounds pretty similar. It has the Accutrigger and digital camo Accustock, 20" heavy profile barrel and larger bolt handle. Is a larger mag available?
The seller wants $1100 with a Nikon Prostaff 7 (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=17383596)4-16x42 which I'm not interested in. I haven't contacted him yet but depending on the answers I receive here, I might. Would an offer of $800-900 without the scope be a fair offer or would I be insulting him?
I've bought and sold a number of guns over the years but for some reason Savage and their designations and multiple iterations of similar rifles really has me confused.
I really appreciate any help that you can provide. Think of it like this: CARPET. If you want to know about the fundamental construction techniques of a house, Then you don't care what the color of the carpet is. Same with Savage rifles, the thing that is different is the "options". Stocks, barrel profile, threaded or not, etc. The fundamental rifle is the same. If you go to the home page here, go to the "Centerfire FAQ". There are a few differences in action screw spacing, which affects what stock you use, centerfeed Vs. Stagger. But the basic rifle is unchanged. As to the new ones being "junk" or not: Savage has always had some interesting QC snafus over the years. I honestly don't think it is worse or better, excepting the bankruptcy years. Whether or not you will get a "Good, or bad one" is always a question in anything. IF there was some things that bothered you about a rifle, with Savage at least, the aftermarket is very nice to change to your particular liking. Personally, and this may or may not align with your notions. Savage has always produced a $300-500 rifle. That is a SFP scope, which I have no use for; so to me it's value is $150. Whether or not he is "insulted" by any offer is his issue, not yours. Maybe he'll get what he is asking, maybe he won't. The question becomes what is the rifle worth, TO YOU. if it is worth $1100, then just pay it and be happy. If not, then you have no reason to be offended if he won't sell it for your offer.

tcoz
12-13-2016, 01:38 PM
Thanks for your input. After your comments, I feel it's somewhat overpriced and I really don't have any interest in the scope. WV1951 suggested selling the scope but rather than fool around with that, I'll keep my eyes open and not be in a hurry. Even though it's a very nice rifle I feel the GSR is also overpriced for what you get.

darkker
12-13-2016, 02:33 PM
Unless it was the "hot ticket" that all little boys and girls wanted for christmas, don't sign-up to sell someone elses junk for them, IE, selling his scope if purchasing the rifle; back to his problem not yours.

The GSR does actually have some receiver differences from the regular Hawkeye rifles. The fundamental changes are in the Trigger mounting casting, the receiver opening length, and the feed lips on the bottom of the bolt raceway. This may seem a bit like hereasy on a Savage board, but sharing info trumps that in my book.
IF you decided to go Ruger, any Ruger, you can just as easily work on them as a Savage. ALL Ruger bolt actions have the same Barrel thread spec. So between the M77 series and all of its various incantations, American series, and RPR, they are all the same. PTG sells a Savage style barrel nut, but for Ruger thread specs; an AR armorers wrench will fit, not a Savage wrench. Then buy yourself a drop-in barrel, much like a Savage; and build anything you wish.

waynef
12-13-2016, 02:45 PM
Go to Cabela's and get a Savage model 10T .... great gun

WV1951
12-13-2016, 04:57 PM
Is a Nikon Prostaff 7 4-16x42 junk?

tcoz
12-13-2016, 05:09 PM
At the risk of really sounding ignorant, I don't see a model 10T on the Savage website but I do see it on Cabela's. Is it a special model for Cabela's only, and if so where can I find the specs on it? Is it comparable to another rifle in the Savage lineup that's generally available? It looks much like the 10 FCP-SR. The nearest Cabela's is over 150 miles from me so actually laying my hands on one looks like it would be difficult. I won't buy any gun without having at least held it.

darkker
12-13-2016, 05:10 PM
Have to read the context. Didn't say the optic was a tomato-stake...
The OP said he has no interest in it. That being the case, and no evidence showing that it holds the Blood of Christ; Why pay for it, simply to take the onus off the seller, simply to try and recapture his "wasted" investment?

TCOZ,
Yes that is a dealer model.

waynef
12-13-2016, 05:25 PM
At the risk of really sounding ignorant, I don't see a model 10T on the Savage website but I do see it on Cabela's. Is it a special model for Cabela's only, and if so where can I find the specs on it? Is it comparable to another rifle in the Savage lineup that's generally available? It looks much like the 10 FCP-SR. The nearest Cabela's is over 150 miles from me so actually laying my hands on one looks like it would be difficult. I won't buy any gun without having at least held it.

The 10T is a Cabela only offer from savage. Savage doesnt sell them on their website only thru Cabela. Its the 10FCP-SR with a 5 round mag. I bought a 10 round mag and it works fine

tcoz
12-13-2016, 06:12 PM
Thank you sir. That's EXACTLY what I wanted to know.

Zero333
12-13-2016, 06:19 PM
What are you going to do with the rifle ? target/plinking or hunting or both ?

tcoz
12-13-2016, 06:24 PM
Mostly target, a little plinking, no hunting.

RC20
12-13-2016, 08:56 PM
The 10T is a tactical type gun, it has a Varmint barrel which in Savagese is a heavy barrel, about .8 inch or so at the muzzle (may be a bit thicker as I think that barrel is a bit shorter)

While aftermarket will offer other possible, in Savage world the next one up is a straight taper bull.

Varmint is a good weight barrel (minimum in my opinion)

Also 5 R rifling which may or may not be an improvement but is listed as better.

My brother got one in 6.5 Creed and likes it.

Stock is actually decent.

As noted the rest is standard Savage.

note: it is a smooth nut, you want to take it off at some point there may or may not be added work (once, you buy a segmented nut for the next one and not a problem after.

I looked at it hard, I liked the 12FV (also a Cabella only) I got better but that is just me, I am bench rest only and that worked for my first Savage.

Aubie923
12-19-2016, 09:26 AM
I just bought a model 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 Creedmoor with the 24 inch barrel. It is by far the most accurate gun I have ever owned. I put 3 6.5mm bullets into a 7.2mm hole at 100 yards on my first trip to the range with factory Hornady Match ammo. Don't let anyone tell you that the new ones are junk!