PDA

View Full Version : Savage long Action Stagard Feed to Center Feed stock conversion question...

travistodd1
12-12-2016, 01:06 PM
I just bought a Center Feed long Action for a 6.5x55 Swede build. I have a nice custom wood stock here for a Stagard Feed and am curious if there is a way to make it work for a Center Feed blind mag. Any thoughts? I believe the bolt spacing should be the same.

Thanks guys!

hereinaz
12-12-2016, 02:10 PM
I just bought a Center Feed long Action for a 6.5x55 Swede build. I have a nice custom wood stock here for a Stagard Feed and am curious if there is a way to make it work for a Center Feed blind mag. Any thoughts? I believe the bolt spacing should be the same.

Thanks guys!
I dry fit one in the same situation, and just shoved some folded paper on either side of the magazine... it bottomed out. I got lucky and it fed well enough that I broke in the barrel cause I didn't have time. It was a boyds stock. And I still havent done a permanent fix.

In my case, the action was a DBM so I had to pop off the bottom magazine plate before shoving it in there.

Im sure there is a better way, but it can be done... hopefully some others comment so we can both benefit.

rjtfroggy
12-12-2016, 05:09 PM
When I did one I epoxied in some cedar shim stock and all was well.

travistodd1
12-12-2016, 05:20 PM
Is the opening for a Stagard Feed larger than a Center Feed or the other way around?

Robinhood
12-12-2016, 05:34 PM
You may have to move the forward end of the Centerfeed magwell forward. Your magazine attaches to the action so the only thing you need to worry about, once you provide the front clearance, is the depth.

foxx
12-12-2016, 07:04 PM
Mag well for the stagger feed is wider than the center feed. It can be done fairly easily. Just as they said above. Shim till it works then epoxy it into place As Robin hod said, you might want to add something to the bottom, too, because it may be too deep.

travistodd1
12-12-2016, 07:15 PM
Sounds good. Now I just need to find an internal magazine for the action...

foxx
12-12-2016, 07:30 PM
Or just make room in the stock's mag well for the stagger feed mag. Leave it attached to the action.

travistodd1
12-12-2016, 07:57 PM
The action is a Center Feed action and stock was intended for a Stagard Feed. I don't think a Stagard Feed magazine would attach to a Center Feed actuon. I don't have either magazine. I just need to find the Center Feed blind magazine and make it work in the stock.

foxx
12-12-2016, 08:16 PM
Gotcha. I misread the thread title. Savage parts dept will sell you a mag box, spring and follower.

travistodd1
12-12-2016, 08:25 PM
Good to know, thank you.

Robinhood
12-12-2016, 10:23 PM
OK Travis. It is the opposite of what I said. You will need to shim the front of the magwell like Foxx stated earlier. You can trim a slot for the l clip in the rear if you want or wedge it in and lightly epoxy it.