PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a Barrel and Stock

anzini51
12-11-2016, 11:11 PM
I'm looking to switch over my Savage 10 243 to a 6.5cm or 7-08 for hunting purposes and I'm looking for a med sporter barrel nothing more than a #3 that is accurate. Currently I have a wood stock and will be replacing the stock also with something that has pillars or alum bedding block. I'm trying to keep the weight down so if anyone can also recommend a stock. My current model is the model 10 trophy hunter with bottom release mag but would like to totally get rid of the plastic trigger guard and bottom plastic on mag. Can I convert this over to hinged floor plate with spring and follower?

strut64
12-12-2016, 02:51 PM
For an after market barrel, I have used Apache gunworks. He is very good but has a very long, extended backlog. Bison gunworks also has a good reputation. Another place that may help is ER Shaw. Places like gunshack, EABrown. northland shooters supply, Midway USA my have what you need in stock. For what your seeking for a stock I have no idea how to help you. That is a real extensive upgrade. Somebody else with more knowledge than me might add to this conversation.

stomp442
12-12-2016, 04:14 PM
EABCO accuracy barrels are a very good value for the money. You not only get a great quality barrel but all the tools needed to change it out like nut wrench, barrel nut and go gauges. I have purchased a couple of barrel packages from them and have been well pleased. As far as stocks go there are quite a few options out there but Boyds always has a nice selection at a fair price as well.

anzini51
12-12-2016, 05:19 PM
I have looked at the EABCO barrels but really wasn't sure of their quality, they seem to have good reviews.
If I purchase a stock from boyds what would you suggest? My main objective is to get rid of the plastic bottom even if I went to a blind magazine.

stomp442
12-12-2016, 05:33 PM
For a hunting style stock, I really like the Prairie hunter models.

SageRat Shooter
12-12-2016, 06:10 PM
+1 for the Prairie hunter and for a barrel I recommend a Criterion heavy sporter contour.

anzini51
12-12-2016, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the replies.

1953greg
01-04-2017, 01:33 AM
I have looked at the EABCO barrels but really wasn't sure of their quality, they seem to have good reviews.
If I purchase a stock from boyds what would you suggest? My main objective is to get rid of the plastic bottom even if I went to a blind magazine.

this mite help

http://www.dealscove.com/coupons/eabco.com

Smokinghole
01-04-2017, 08:11 AM
Are EABCO barrels ERShaw?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RC20
01-04-2017, 04:00 PM
Yes. Or they sell them.

Barrels: My take is ER shaw is about the same as a Savage Barrel, probably get something around 1 inch MOA. Maybe get better but not for sure, not likely worse.

You want better, then Shilen (NSS) XC, McGowan, Criterion would do well. If you want to do casual bench rest target, this is the group to go with (button rifled). Keep in mind for standard calibers and profiles they often have them ready to go (someone does). My Shilen took a while but it was both an unusual profile and an unusual caliber in that profile.

You want to run with the pros, then bugholes.com and one of the cut rifled barrel mfgs.

Stock: Composite don't gain you much over a Laminate (probably a wash weight wise.) Boyds is a plug and play fit.

I like the Thumbholes, I have a Lightweight Hunter on one gun (30-06). Shoots great, no pillars.

EABCO has a stock that is very close to Boyds. Exterior quality as good, interior not as much but it does have Pillars and you want to bed it that is one to think about as interior is going to get removed to make room for bedding. You can get regular, Savage Varmint or Bull profile.

the8thfold
01-05-2017, 12:45 AM
Well first of all this is my first post so props to me [emoji6]. I am in the process of doing almost the same thing to my model 10 .243. Biggest difference is that mine is preaccutrigger. I think my dad got it in '89. I love Boyd's stocks. I grew up only an hour or so away from their shop and have had the pleasure of visiting in person. If you want a stock for target shooting/ compilation I'd go with either the thumb hole (if you like that grip), or the pro varmint (more typical "sniper" stock). You can get a fully customized stock with your choice of wood, LOP, engraving, and finish for less than most any other company.

As far as the barrel goes, I really thought no it boils down to how much you want to spend and what options you want. If you just want to move calibers than the ER Shaw is a good choice and bang for your buck(from what I've read). Now if you want a fluted barrel and a/or a muzzle break than you will want to find someone like Bartlein or Hawk Hill. As far as length of the barrel again that would go with the type of shooting you do. Is it a hunting rifle, target or both. Some hunters like a 22" barrel and some 24. Most firing 6.5cm in competition are using a 26".

It's a lot to consider. I for one am going with the Boyd's Prairie hunter. I'm still in the air about the barrel.

Good luck man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk