PDA

View Full Version : very long chamber?

ohihunter2014
12-11-2016, 09:59 AM
have a question..

I have an axis II 223rem HB and when reloading 55gr hornady v max I have to seat super deep because I will hit the rifling. book says 2.250 and I have to go 2.230. I began loading for my axis I 223rem regular barrel and it seems I could just seat the bullet at like 2.280-(just a guess) I made my dummy round and that throat is super long. why is that? could something have became loose?

Robinhood
12-11-2016, 10:56 AM
I doubt loose is the problem. The throat may be for sure. Are you getting the COAL from the book for that particular bullet?

ohihunter2014
12-11-2016, 11:11 AM
I doubt loose is the problem. The throat may be for sure. Are you getting the COAL from the book for that particular bullet?

I learned to not go buy book OAL and make a dummy round and seat just off the lands. In the heavy barrel it must be 2.230 and book is 2.250 any higher than 2.230 I'm into the lands. with the regular barrel I'm at like 2.255 and probably longer. that's super long for that bullet which is telling me its either loose or super long throat. just want to make sure everything is safe. I haven't shot this gun in years. I had savage look at the HB for it being so short and they said short throat leave it alone for accuracy.

if I color a bullet with a black marker and chamber its hard to chamber over 2.230OAL with the HB and I get marks all over the bullet. when I colored the bullet for the reg barrel I didn't get anything and there was 0 resistance.

yobuck
12-11-2016, 11:51 AM
They are factory cut chambers, and they are what they are. If the guns shoot well be happy.
Some serious competetors actually prefer final seating of the bullet when they close the bolt.
You could have the throat length increased on the short one if your not happy with what you have.
Your method of obtaining the length is by todays standards considered old school.
That said, it is still an excellent way to determine that.

Texas10
12-11-2016, 11:32 PM
After about 5000 rounds down the tube in my model 12BVSS in 223, I could not seat a 73 grain Berger to the lands and have it still in the neck of the case. That was about the time I decided to buy a new barrel.

Throats erode, some quite quickly and barrels are expendable items. You chase the lands until...well until you can't, and you are either satisfied with the accuracy with a long jump, or buy a new barrel.

Kentgoldings
12-18-2016, 06:10 PM
I measured mine using this informal method. The length I measured is 2.375. I seat my bullets to 2.26 and get good results.

mag410
12-24-2016, 10:06 PM
My Axis .223 has a long throat. Best accuracy with 50 gr Hornady Soft Points is @ COL 2.280", which is just off the lands. .6-.7 MOA

Best factory load so far is the American Eagle 50 gr VT which go .8-.9 MOA. It is kind of interesting they shoot so well since @ 2.20" COL they have to jump .080" to get to the rifling.

I suspect Savage cuts these chambers to 5.56 specs as they know people are going to shoot 5.56 ammo in them?

I found my way here looking for a stronger firing pin spring as my rifle has occasional FTF with the AE ammo which has Mil Spec primers and with CCI 450 primers. No FTF's with CCI 400 primers or with any non-AR type sporting ammo.

Michael