PDA

View Full Version : couple questions/advice.

ohihunter2014
12-11-2016, 09:56 AM
I own 2 savage axis. one is an axis 2-223remHB and the other is so old it was the next year after the edge and its a 223rem pencil barrel. my dilemma is below.

I don't shoot the pencil barrel that much if at all other than occasional coyote hunting cause of the weight. I have been playing with the idea of heavy barreling that one in another caliber like 308, 22-250, 243.

how hard is it to swap barrels?

would it be worth it or just buy another gun?

keep what I have because the farthest I can shoot is 200-300yards max and don't really need another caliber?

foxx
12-11-2016, 11:59 AM
Unless you think you will want to rebarrel more often than once or twice, I would think you'd be better off just getting a new one. Rebarrelling requires a few tools and head space gages that makes it more expensive than it's worth, I think, when new HB's and regular models can still be bought pretty inexpensively... plus, there's a $50 rebate out on them. Pretty hard to go wrong with that option.

Would be a different story if Savage did not offer your chamber choice.

SageRat Shooter
12-12-2016, 02:43 PM
Well that is the million dollar question....

I actually used an axis for my first build... I bought the basic axis a couple years ago as a prairie dog (Sage Rat) gun... It worked well out to 200 yards with a basic Bushnell 4-12x40, but after the first year I was hooked and wanted to extend my range. I also wanted to be able to fire more than 4-5 shots at a time before the barrel got too hot.

I wound up putting a CBI 22-250 Heavy sporter contour on it and then put a Boyds Prairie hunter stock on it. Now, as Foxx said... it does require a few tools (action wrench, barrel vise, go/no go gauges, and a new barrel nut).

I am very happy with my axis now that it has a really nice barrel on it. Here is what determined it for me. You can go out and spend $330.00 for a new axis and still have the plastic POS stock, and a pencil sized savage barrel... Or you can make the initial investment for the tools, barrel nut and a new CBI barrel for roughly $450-500. Now you have your heavy contoured, hand lapped, match grade barrel that will flat out shoot.

After you shoot out that barrel, then it's only another $300+ shipping to get another tack driver.... Of course..... then you might have to order a few more head spacing gauges for the next "build" you wind up wanting after you've built the first one.... It's addictive, but I really like being able to do most of my own work...

Just my .02