PDA

View Full Version : Recommend brand of barrel for 110 sporter replacement?

Pages : 1 [2]

kimberkook
12-14-2016, 02:26 PM
Too bad you don't want a 30-06! ...
I see that there is one for sale in the Classifieds. Fact is, I already have one, a decent 110E (sporter with open sights), that shoots great. Most of the time I only shoot handholds using Trail Boss powder and 155 gr. bullets. It's like shooting a 22 Mag that makes big holes! I love it. :smile-new:

jim_k
12-15-2016, 07:12 PM
I would rebarrel with a factory lightweight barrel, such as a takeoff barrel from Northland Shooters. I did that, and the rifle shot under 0.5" CTC for 5 shots at 100 yards.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/khoaplpreea6lz1/20160714_115100.jpg?dl=0

kimberkook
12-16-2016, 10:17 AM
I would rebarrel with a factory lightweight barrel, such as a takeoff barrel from Northland Shooters. I did that, and the rifle shot under 0.5" CTC for 5 shots at 100 yards.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/khoaplpreea6lz1/20160714_115100.jpg?dl=0
That's one fine shooter, Jim! I had an old well used and beat-up 110E .308 that was really consistent (if I was, too) to the point of being absurd. It liked IMR 3031 and 168 gr Sierra MatchKings. (The Nosler 155 CC you're using is one fine bullet, too!) A friend literally took that old wood-stocked rifle from me and never returned it, just gave me money instead. Come to think of it, it wasn't much money either. :-)

Thanks for the recommendation to find out what Northland might have in a take-off barrel. I have to get into contact with them to get the barrel/action tools, too. I hope they're done cleaning up from the latest Bismarck Blizzard and are now vacationing in Hawaii. While they're gone they could leave the barrels outside for cryogenic treatment. Makes me wonder, too, if Shilen in Texas uses the local Dairy Queen to deep fry each barrel before it's shipped? ;)

jim_k
12-16-2016, 11:07 PM
I used to live pretty close to Shilen. Their barrels are excellent; I've had a few, and they performed great. They diamond-lap their barrels, so there is no need to do a break-in. Just clean it, fire one shot to let it know it's a rifle barrel, then fire for effect. I agree about the IMR 3031 and 168 Sierra's. I'm saving my 3031, since my son-in-law's rifle shoots it so great, I don't want to run out of his favorite powder!
On Northland Shooters Supply website, look under "Clearance" for the take-off barrels. There are a couple of new take-off 22-250 barrels there. I would opt for the 9-twist if it was me. If you only shoot the light bullets, 12-twist is OK. Either one will get you out to 300 yards like a champ!

ninner
12-16-2016, 11:15 PM
I'd keep a lookout for a fluted model 12 takeoff. I picked up a 22-250 for $100 and it made one hell of a shooter.

eyeballjr
12-18-2016, 03:49 AM
I'd keep a lookout for a fluted model 12 takeoff. I picked up a 22-250 for $100 and it made one hell of a shooter.

This^^^^^^ The most accurate rifle i've ever owned was a model 12 with a trigger job. Dime sized groups at 200 with reloads. I still beat myself over the head when I realize I traded it for a win. 7mag that ended up not being able to hold a 2 inch group at 100 yards. One of those jump the proverbial gun deals. My very first elk hunt was 2 months away and I wanted to get something so I could work up a load for before I left. The largest rifle I had at the time was a Savage woodstocked 243, a tack driver as well, but I had to have more bore!!!!! So first offer I received, I jumped on it.