PDA

View Full Version : Savage Target action questions..

Tar12
12-10-2016, 02:55 PM
I am considering a .243 build using a Target action as a base. Am I limited to a single shot rifle if i do this? I am really wanting a clip fed gun in the end.

rjtfroggy
12-10-2016, 04:51 PM
http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/12LRP

Here you go, target action and a repeater.

RC20
12-10-2016, 04:57 PM
With the Target Trigger! , phew.

Too bad not more caliber options.

BroadSide
12-13-2016, 01:15 AM
I have a 12LRP in 243 and I am in the process of ordering a new barrel for it. Seriously look into something other than 243 in that gun as its a 9.25" twist which does not like to stabilize bullets at longer ranges. I have shot out to 800 yd with mine trying 70gr BT to 105gr VLD with unsatisfactory results, especially when its advertised as a "long range precision" rifle/ It really should be 8" min or better yet, 7.5 or 7". I can be on target with my brothers RPR in 6.5c. The 12LRP in 6.5c is 1:8" twist and is acceptable for that caliber.

I am switching to 6.5 Creedmoor, 26", 1:7 twist/ Something to think about since it might save you money in the long run. The 243 shoots good to 500 yd, but after that it starts to spread pretty bad

redman
12-14-2016, 12:49 AM
I am switching to 6.5 Creedmoor, 26", 1:7 twist/ Something to think about since it might save you money in the long run. The 243 shoots good to 500 yd, but after that it starts to spread pretty bad

Actually it can be superior to the creed. The only thing the creedmoor beats it on is being able to load longer bullets and still fit them in the short magazine. I've had both and like them both. There are plus and minuses to each.

There was an lrp action in the classifieds. This would be the target action repeater if there was such a thing.

BroadSide
12-14-2016, 12:56 AM
Actually it can be superior to the creed. The only thing the creedmoor beats it on is being able to load longer bullets and still fit them in the short magazine. I've had both and like them both. There are plus and minuses to each.

There was an lrp action in the classifieds. This would be the target action repeater if there was such a thing.

You are correct that it can be a good cartridge. In fact that was my intention in originally buying the 243 LRP I have. Unfortunately the LRP has a slow twist for the 243 and in my experience with said rifle, does not work well for the "long range" part of it's name. And that is what I was referencing in my reply to a post linking the factory LRP in 243.

RC20
12-14-2016, 11:56 AM
Just a curiosity not a criticism as I am trying to wrap my mind around this.

Isn't rotation a factor of velocity? Ie stability .

Failure far out would indicate (to me) of crossing into sub sonic.

not a 243 guy so may not be grasping it.

earl39
12-14-2016, 03:57 PM
Just a curiosity not a criticism as I am trying to wrap my mind around this.

Isn't rotation a factor of velocity? Ie stability .

Failure far out would indicate (to me) of crossing into sub sonic.

not a 243 guy so may not be grasping it.
Rotation really has nothing to do with velocity as long as you only measure in distance. Matters not if the bullet is moving 10 feet per hour or 4000 feet per second if fired from a 1 in 10 twist barrel it is still rotating once every 10 inches. Where the velocity counts is with RPM's which can cause a bullet to come apart. The shorter the bullet the slower the twist can be and still have a stable flight. The longer the bullet the faster the twist needs to be to keep it stable. Although going subsonic could very well be the problem the OP is having at longer range it could also be the bullet is not spinning fast enough to remain stable. A change of as little as 1/4 inch faster twist can make a big difference if you are right on the edge of good stability.

m12lrs
12-14-2016, 05:29 PM
Here is some really good information on the subject. Read some of Brian's stuff if you are really curious

http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/