PDA

View Full Version : Problems with extraction.

Pages : 1 [2]

1953greg
12-16-2016, 08:25 PM
What he's referring to is Primary Extraction. A search for that will pull up the information you are wanting.

When you open the bolt handle does the handle make contact with the rear baffle forcing the bolt to travel rearward in the action?

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?281-Why-110-Series-and-Axis-Bolt-Handles-are-NOT-Interchangeable&new_comment

I think that's the right move. I went and re-read you first post, what got me is you said it looked ot hit the mouth of the case and would go no further.

That indicates its not a head space problem, its a throat problem.

Supposedly the brass should fire form to the chamber including the throat area.

If it was head space then it would go almost all the way in and stick.

I would focus on that area, even if tight, a resized round goes in, should conform.

Really odd an most interested in what you find.

Boro scope is going to be the only thing you can get a good look at it with as that is close to the lands.

been following with much interest and anxious for discovery
rc20: is it possible to just have a throat problem on a new chamber? i have let some brass get too long on a carbon deposited throat. i suppose we all assume the reamer was proper to start with. maybe its not. scratchin my head!!!!!!
but if the case neck is jamming the lands then pressures would skyrocket even with reduced loads, right?

RC20
12-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Yes it is possible to have a bad chamber job for a number of reasons.

It can be any part of the chamber from the body on through the throat.

Others have reported it, I saw a Sig Pistol with a bad chamber that had the eject not working and marks on the brass. How that got past quality I don't know. It was visually obvious, so a look apparently is not part of the process.

Its a mechanical process, reamers wear out (and at what point should you shift) mistakes made in application etc.

Jamming in the Lands: I have not researched it but that would be my guess. I always have check and trimmed my stuff so not something I have run into.

However, if the throat is not right then you could have the condition even with correctly trimmed brass.

Sinclair makes a gauge to check that, mostly for fine tuning how long your brass can be vs going by SAMMI, ie a fine tuning for target shooting

I don't have it as I keep mine short and have not had a bad chamber, its not common but not rare either considering the number of custom barrels out these days.