PDA

View Full Version : New Member First Savage Stealth .228 Lapua Bolt Question

straightravage
12-08-2016, 10:28 AM
Good morning,

I am new to the forum and I just purchased a Savage Stealth in .338 Lapua! I cant wait to take it out tomorrow and zero my glass!

But I do have a question since I am new to the long range game.

When I was dry firing the rifle I noticed when I looked at the bolt I was also looking at the lugs on the free floating bolt head and when I engage the bolt and lock it down....I notice the lugs on the bolt actually move about 1/8" to engage. Is that normal??

New to bolt action. But do you guys know if that's normal? I would have figured the lugs would completely move and engage. Or at least rotated more than what it is actually moving. I assume since its a free floating head it doesn't move that much...but just seems odd that it doesn't rotate and lock down further.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

sharpshooter
12-08-2016, 02:33 PM
I don't know what you are measuring to come up with this 1/8" figure. When you close the bolt the lugs will rotate a full 90 degrees.

FW Conch
12-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Welcome to SS.com :-)

Yeah, don't know what You're looking at. When we close the bolt handle, the only thing we can see is the back of the front bolt baffle?

bowfishn
12-08-2016, 03:22 PM
If I was to guess the confusion is with the front baffle, the lug turns the baffle stays stationary, you will not be able to see the lug with the bolt closed. Other rifles (maybe not all) do not use a baffle that looks like a lug, so I can see the confusion.

Mountain Man
12-09-2016, 11:44 PM
What's a .228 Lapua?

;) Welcome.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

CBryars2
12-11-2016, 09:43 PM
I checked mine today while switching out the bolt knob. Once bolt all the way in, all I can see rotate is the shaft. The bolt has the rotating portion which I cannot see, and the stationary portion which does not appear to rotate on my rifle.

When you chamber, is there a lot of slop in the action? You might also want to verify you bolt serial# matches the rifle serial # they are a set. All else fails, call customer service, they are nice and helpful and will tell you if you need to send it in.