PDA

View Full Version : base/ring confusion for stevens 200 and vortex viper hs lr

coreylies
12-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Hey all,

I just ordered a vortex viper hs lr scope 4-16x from cabelas. This has a 30mm tube and 44mm objective. It is going on my stevens 200 in .30-06. I'm currently using 2 piece weaver bases and would like to order some of the Burris signature zee rings, but I have no clue what height to order and would like to get them on order to hopefully receive them at the same time as the scope.
Does anyone have any experience with this combination of goodies? I have tried researching it, but I'm really confused. :frusty:
I'm open to other suggestions regarding bases/rings combinations, as I'm sure the current bases/rings are nothing special.
Thank you for the help.

cowtownup
12-07-2016, 07:46 PM
I used the medium Burris Signature Zee rings with my viper (part #420588) and the height worked out great. If you like a more tactical look check out the Burris XTR signature zee rings... They come in medium height also and are great set of rings... IMO

I'm sorry but I had the 50mm objective not the 44mm that you mention. You may can go with low rings... I'm not sure on that part number..

dfrosch
12-07-2016, 08:30 PM
The Signature Zee rings don't come in low anymore. Get the mediums. For me, the Weaver or Warne two piece bases and medium Signature Zee rings are the perfect height on most of my stocks.

coreylies
12-07-2016, 09:34 PM
The Signature Zee rings don't come in low anymore. Get the mediums. For me, the Weaver or Warne two piece bases and medium Signature Zee rings are the perfect height on most of my stocks.

Thank you for the response. Does the brand of the bases matter? Should I go ahead and upgrade those since I don't have a clue what they are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dfrosch
12-07-2016, 11:27 PM
Since your 30-06 is a long action, I would be tempted to buy a one piece Picatinny rail. This will allow you to position the scope exactly where it need to be. EGW makes a good product, but I prefer a base that sits a little lower. The Weaver 99494 looks like it would sit a little lower. The EGW and Weaver are aluminum. If you prefer a steel rail, go for the Warne M667M or Leupold 170746. The steel rails are going to be more expensive.

With the two piece base, your rings will be far enough apart that it limits positioning the scope. Some scope tubes may be too short to allow mounting.

coreylies
12-07-2016, 11:46 PM
Since your 30-06 is a long action, I would be tempted to buy a one piece Picatinny rail. This will allow you to position the scope exactly where it need to be. EGW makes a good product, but I prefer a base that sits a little lower. The Weaver 99494 looks like it would sit a little lower. The EGW and Weaver are aluminum. If you prefer a steel rail, go for the Warne M667M or Leupold 170746. The steel rails are going to be more expensive.

With the two piece base, your rings will be far enough apart that it limits positioning the scope. Some scope tubes may be too short to allow mounting.

Won't a one piece interfere with loading/unloading as this model doesn't have a detach mag or trapdoor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foxx
12-08-2016, 12:04 AM
A simple and good solution for hunting and casual target shootingis the DNZ GameReaper one piece base/ring combo. Solid, dependable, no binding, fool proof. Bottom rings and "base" is one, solid piece of aluminum. Then you have the two top rings, of course. 3 parts, total. Amazon usually has em for $45. Dang good.

dfrosch
12-08-2016, 12:09 AM
A one piece base will have a cut-away to facilitate loading... at least until you upgrade your stock.