PDA

View Full Version : Help for a confused newbie..

tcoz
12-07-2016, 03:55 PM
I'm preparing to buy my first Savage rifle and started a thread a couple of days ago with a couple of questions about the Scout Rifle. I've pretty much decided though that I'm going with a 10 FCP-SR for reasons which aren't pertinent to this thread. I'm really confused about something though. Most everyone seems to agree that the older model with the AI mags was superior to the newer model. Well, yesterday I was in a local store and they had one priced at $749 which I thought was ridiculous compared to the prices I've been seeing at the online retailers. This morning I was reading more about the rifle and found out that the new model is only available with the black stock. That got me wondering as the one I saw in the store had a Kryptek camo stock. I don't specifically remember the mag except I don't recall that it had that rubber or plastic "cap" on the lower half that the Savage mag has. It also had the stickers indicating it had an Accustock and Accutrigger which I didn't think the old model had. Anyway, I'm pretty confused as to whether this was the older more desirable model which might explain the higher price or whether it might have been a special new model which Savage only sold through this retailer. I don't remember any other details of it that might indicate whether it was old or new.
Based on the vague description that I provided, can anybody shed some light on this forvme. If it is indeed an older model, is $749 a good price and should I snap it up if I'm sure that's the rifle that I want?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

ClutchyMcClutcherson
12-07-2016, 05:14 PM
I saw one just like it at Dicks sporting goods. Not sure if that's where you saw it. I just figured it was the new one but a special for dicks because I know savage has others that are special packages made for dicks. That's my best guess.

tcoz
12-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Yep, that's it. The long thread that everybody refers to pretty much explains everything in the last two or three pages. Had I read it to the end, my question would've been answered. The last few posters seemed to agree that most of the issues seem to have been resolved except for the seating difficulty with the mag.
Dick's price is $150 more than the current price at Buds for essentially the same rifle except for the camo stock which I plan to have Cerakoted anyway.

Zero333
12-07-2016, 09:05 PM
The older FCP-SR has the DIGIcamo stock, accustock & accutrigger, and AccurateMag 10rd magazine for the aics compatible bottom metal.

When I got a FCP-K some years back, I had to choose between the FCP-K and the FCP-SR. Both were at the store in front of me, and I ended up with the fcpK because of the fluted bbl and muzzle brake.

The older FCP-SR is a good rifle.... In my opinion, the older Savages are better rifles than the newer ones.