PDA

View Full Version : Bolt head conversion

rosewood
12-06-2016, 02:31 PM
Newbie on this forum, long time savage owner. Currently have 6 110/10 or variants, a 93 and 64 not to mention several various single shot shotguns.. Just rebarreled my first 110 from 30-06 to a .260 recently.

My ultimate goal is to build a 7mm TCU on a Savage. I have a 110 243 (long action). It has the baffle on it so the bolt does not go back all the way and the bottom of the action has metal not cut out as it would be on a longer cartridge. It is such that you could not make it a long caliber unless you did some machining. It also has the short box in it. The stock will work on a long caliber as I put in another action just to check.

I have read other post on this subject and am trying to make sure I understand correctly, it seems I have to have a long action .223 bolt head to make the conversion. The long action has a longer tail on it than the short action one does so I cannot just order the .223 bolt head which is typically for the short action. The long action .223 bolt head is hard to find. I really do not want to put a ton of money in this.

Are my findings correct?

I have searched high and low and have yet to find a .223 savage at any local gun store and seems the only ones I have seen for sale are all heavy barrels and are way out of my price range. Maybe I should pursue trading my 243 for a .223 or even an Axis in .223 in lieu of tracking down and spending money on a long action bolt head?

Thanks,

Rosewood

Wildcat
12-06-2016, 08:35 PM
Rosewood,
IIRC, I thought Sharp Shooter Supply used to offer a change over / conversion kit to allow the use of the more common 223 SA bolt head to make just what you are interested in possible. I'm not sure they still offer it. I'd send them an email and see what they say. A reply might be delayed, but personally I have always had my inquiries to them answered. If you decide not to try that, you might be out of luck unless you trade/sell the 243 as you mentioned.

Perhaps someone with more experience will chime in with more information.

Wildcat

geargrinder
12-06-2016, 11:59 PM
The long action 223 bolt heads are not common, but far from rare. I have one of each hand.

Worst case, you can order one from PTG.

rosewood
12-07-2016, 07:37 AM
That is what I figured. Was shying away from ordering a non-factory one since they tend to cost a lot more.

Thanks,

Rosewood